• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

she started...but problems

rocklandxjer

NAXJA Forum User
well, if anyone checked out Daisy's thread, i finally got her started up today, and she sounded ok for having no fluids in her for 4 months...

sounded a bit stumbly, but i figured it was due to the airpockets in the fuel rail and antifreeze lines. and the lack of oil thats been in there. [which i obviously added before starting]

after about a minute, i started to hear a hiss, and saw some steam coming from the motor so i shut her off. i THINK the hiss was coming from a nozzle [about an inch pertruding] on the inside top of the manifold, next to the TB. the steam was coming from the header. upon further inspection i found that injectors 3-4 were leaking some, and there was a small amount of gas around the heat guard, which i presume is what caused the smoke...

what would cause an injector to leak? is it not pushed in enough, perhaps the injector is shot?, ill snap some pics if that will help, to show you what im talking about and to see if maybe you can catch something ive hooked up incorrectly.

Travis

also, i guess it helps to know that its an 88 with the renix 4.0.

i just went out again, and there was little to no noticible leakage from teh rail [i tightened it in there a little bit before, but it still concerns me...]

but the wistle IS coming from that nozzle, and that nozzle works as a vacuum [is sucks air in] so im guessing either airbox or head that it should go to...

the one that was leaking [at first from the injection port, then when i tapped it will a mallet, from where the injector meets the rail -it sprayed a little when tapped]
eh002.jpg

heres the nozzle im talking about
eh001.jpg

and the whole thing in case you see anything
eh005.jpg

i routed the nozzle to the head, and the wistle is gone, but there is still a vac leak somewhere i think.

also, she runs REALLY rough and when gassed she cuts in and out. i made pretty sure i had the right sensors on the right injectors, i dont have them mixed up do i?

big fat sucker should go to vacuum brake booster
little one next to it looks like it should connect throttle body to MAP sensor-
won't run for poop with both disconnected--
fix fuel leaks and then hook 'em up and see where you get
--Shorty

The big fatty definitely goes to the brake booster. I can't find where that other (small) one goes, but MAP sensor throttle body is a good guess without seeing the whole picture from the side. I don't see the EGR assembly in there but there are also vac lines to that.

If you don't change out all your injectors (an expensive [$300] proposition) you can just replace the o-rings on the injectors to eliminate the leaking UNLESS you have a bad injector leaking from within the plastic itself. If that's the case just replace the offending injector(s) @ $50 each AND the o-rings on the others. Leaking injectors over the hot exhaust manifold is a sure engine fire under the right conditions. An engine fire can ruin your entire day.
:flame: :flame::flame::flame::flame:
Keep us posted on the vac line situation. If you want to post up another wider angle pic of the driver's side of the engine it may be easier to route your lines.

...and, make sure all your electrical connections are clean and tight on your injectors, could explain the roughness too.

thanks, ill check that.

hmm i guess thats why it ran like poop to begin with... ill hook those two hoses up and see what happens. thanks. yea, im just going to replace the o rings and see what happens, if they continue to leak ill just have to replace the faulty ones... o well.

Travis

Back