• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

PROJECT HALF/RAG DOORS

gone2lakexj

NAXJA Forum User
The next step after the lift... I took my perfectly good power window, door lock, power/heated mirror exquipt doors and cut them all to peices... here is what I have so far
Removed the doors (Pain in the *** )
untitled.jpg

I then removed all the paneling, mirrors and guts, taped my pattern and started cutting
doorscutout.jpg

Next I cut out the entire panel on the inside all the way to the edge.. This way I could put stronger steel all on the inside to help strengthen them. I stenciled out a patter on some 18 guage sheet and used a plasma to cut out back panel and filler panels
doorswithbackpanelwelded.jpg

doorsbackpanelwelded.jpg

Then I welded on the back panel and the filler panels, saved the door handle and lock on the outside, and used an old gm handle for the inside ( I will have more pics of in between stages soon) But this is a pic of the completed door minus primer and paint and canvas
doorsonjeepreadyforprimer.jpg

The canvas will cover the rest of the opening, much like wrangler doors, with a plexi/plastic window, all snap on/off with the snaps rivetted onto the door. As for the mirrors, Im not sure if I am going to keep them (they can go back on) or upgrade to some tj mirrors

Keep track of the thread and you'll find out and let me know

JD

nice doors...they look great I cant wait to build a set for mine

BTW that seems like a rare combo xj 2dr with leather and a stick

Yeah, leather seats are out of a classic.... Sucks because they don't lean up... but regardless it is still a rare combo being a 98 2 door sport 4x4 5 spd fully loaded and black (but not for long).......

ill stick a nice viper alarm sticker on there... plus with the search and rescue on the side, people generally leave it alone, expecially if I've got a light bar on top

JD

Nice job on the doors. Takes guts to cut up a fully-loaded XJ.

Nice wheels too. Pretty rare, aren't they? Columbia edition TJ rims, right? I'm picking up a set of those from a local guy.

Do I see a full-size '68 Buick in the garage beside the white Caddy?

Yeah, it was a crazy idea.... but im glad I did it.. I will be more glad when its all done... Those wheels are actually off of a 2wd xj.... don't ask me, but they are just a charcoal edition of the ones I had. He wanted mine and I wanted his, so we swapped. I will have more pictures soon of everything primed and mounted... Paint will take a couple of weeks because the whole jeep is going desert camo....

And yes that is a 68 Buick Wildcat, All original in the garage :)

Thought so. If you haven't already guessed from my loggin, I have a '68 LeSabre. It's all black and stock as well but with Buick rallys and a 3" drop. Funny, since I'm about to lift the XJ 3". It's all about balance...

Can't wait to see the finished doors. Should be very cool and useful. Why should the short Jeeps have all the fun?

Here's the sled:

buicktail.jpg

I personally think velcro might be the better/more weather type solution

I thought of that...However, you've seen velcro after a while in the weather and dirt.... its not pretty and it loses its stick. The canvas part has a weather stripping around the outside edge, and besides, my interior is all waterproof anyway for the most part Herculined floors and no cloth seats and what not

lesabre400 said:
Thought so. If you haven't already guessed from my loggin, I have a '68 LeSabre. It's all black and stock as well but with Buick rallys and a 3" drop. Funny, since I'm about to lift the XJ 3". It's all about balance...

Can't wait to see the finished doors. Should be very cool and useful. Why should the short Jeeps have all the fun?

Here's the sled:

buicktail.jpg

sorry, off topic...... but that thing is bad ass !

Back