• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Questions about traction improvers

totalvideo2

NAXJA Forum User
So i have some questions that im really not clear about....what is the difference between a locker and a spool? is a spool the same as a welded rear or lincoln locker? are posis really that bad? and whats the traction difference between a locrite and say an arb or a detroit? lots of questions hopefully some answers

locker= automatic locking diff, so it can unlock around corners when you're not on the gas, which saves your tires. if you get on the gas, both wheels spin at the same speed.

a spool is the same as welding the spiders/lincoln locker, only it's an actual part that you put in that was manufactured and such, rather than welding an open carrier shut. you can get ones that fit into where spiders, called a mini-spool (jsut like you can for lockers, called a lunchbox locker) or you can get a new carrier that doesn't have a space for spiders, called a full spool, it just keeps both axle shafts spinning together no matter what. not so good for tire wear.

some posis are alright, most factory posi (limited slip) is gay. they use springs and clutches. too much power overpowers the clutches and can burn them out.

a new type of limited slip uses worm gears instead of clutches. they are much better. drives just like it's open, but if you start slipping one tire can spin a little slower than the other, but only so much. you can't have one tire sitting there doing nothing and the other spinning, like with an open diff, or a clutch limited slip that is overpowered/worn out.

mjma said:
locker= automatic locking diff, so it can unlock around corners when you're not on the gas, which saves your tires. if you get on the gas, both wheels spin at the same speed.

this is the first time that I have seen this explained in a way that makes sense. Usually you only see comments like "Automatic locking differentials are engineered to keep both wheels in a constant drive mode, yet have the ability to unlock to permit a difference in wheel speed while negotiating turns." and I'm like....?? huh?? This sez to me that if you are wheelin, you will have both wheels driving, but if you are going around a corner the diff will allow the outer wheel to go faster. My inner monkey asks "how does the locker know when you are wheelin and need it locked, and when you are taking a corner and need it open?" Of course it doesn't and your explanation makes sense - under load the locker will lock, but without the load it will allow different wheel speeds - hence the comments about 'getting used' to driving with an auto locker.

Thanks for that.

ONe more thing about ARB's. They are, in a sence, temproary spools. When an ARB is off you have a 100% open axle. When the ARB is on it spools up, both wheels turn at the same speed. If they aren't turning at hte same speed you have a broken axle shaft :D

Total - The difference between a mini-spool and a lunchbox locker is what htey do. The mini spool gives you 100% locked up axles at all times, just like a spool. A lunchbox locker will just lock up when you're on the gas just like a regular automatic locker. Their only simliarities is that they are both designed to slip into an existing carrier.

Back