• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Last sunday the 21st

paulhead

I overtighten $#!t
NAXJA Member
Since I just lurk around trying to sell or buy stuff or learn from you guys I thought I'd share with ya'll my recent adventure and why I'm looking for D35 inners.But actually decided to upgrade to an 8.8. Took the wifes' XJ (she's got a mini-van now so I adopted it) out for the first time to Rowher Flats. I usually drvie my 89YJ 33's, (locked with warn axles in the front, and stick shift) out and have beat the hell out of it and managed not to break my D35 or anything major. In looking at the video I'm disappointed with my driving, could've chosen a better line and been a little more patient and easier on the gas. I had it in 3 instead of 1st gear and in 4low so that may have helped over tourquing a few things.Anyway...........

http://s17.photobucket.com/albums/b53/UF92134/Rowher April 2007/?action=view&current=P1050635.flv

http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b53/UF92134/Rowher April 2007/P1050638.jpg

The album http://s17.photobucket.com/albums/b53/UF92134/Rowher April 2007/

Yeah, my YJ has a 4.2 carbed so the power does'nt come through like a 4.0. Lesson learned. But now I'm obsessing 'bout the 8.8, sssshhhhhhhh! don't tell the wife.

I would definately try and invest in a locker. That definately limited the vehicle, greater wheel spin, greater chance of breaking something, as you experienced. :explosion

Hey paul here's a pic of my 8.8.... It should be completely done on thursday...
DSC03754.jpg

Yep,the "GAS IT" technique doesnt always work the best!

The grand cherokee in the video before yours just crawled right up, pretty easily!

Sweeeeet! I found one with 4.10's for $320. I know if I shop around I could probably find one cheaper but I took into account the gearing.

mattyj said:
Yep,the "GAS IT" technique doesnt always work the best!

The grand cherokee in the video before yours just crawled right up, pretty easily!
Yeah, he was locked though, D44, he was a little more prepared. I need to upgrade the front axle shafts too.

Jump This said:
Have you thaught of a front sway bar disconnect system?

:D

Rick

Wait, don't tell me you already have one?

;)

I was going to say the same thing. Disconnecting the front sway bar would have helped because I didnt see much articulation there. what tires are you running?

Jump This said:
Have you thaught of a front sway bar disconnect system?

:D

Rick

Wait, don't tell me you already have one?

;)
Correct! Sitting in my garage! Have'nt had time to put them on, aaarrrrggghhhh. Running 32" BFG mt's , great tires just could'nt keep them down.

So I went on a jeep attack and aquired some goodies. When it breaks upgrade right? Well my jeep obsession kicked in a little. Found an 8.8 with 4.10s from some kid in the valley, bought it. Found a HP D30 with 4.10's, got it. Found it at wilmington pik-apart (the little yard) and man those dudes are crooks. Had to haggle with then for half an hour to get the price down and ended up taking the calipers off to get a good price. They were going to throw them away anyway. Almost would've been worth it to just regear my present axle. Anyway in installing the 8.8 I have around 4" in the rear with no SYE and no vibes. In my YJ (with an SYE) I knew to keep it level with the DS -2* which worked out fine. Do I do the same with my XJ or is there a new formula?

So I finally got around to popping off my dif cover to get the D35 shafts out and see what carnage was in there. Like I suspected, tore up the spider gears. Almost done putting my 8.8 (with 4.10's) in. Got a D30 with 4.10's gonna put in after I'm done with this.
IMG_0352.jpg

IMG_0353.jpg

I chopped the stock shock mounts to get a little more clearance too.
IMG_0350.jpg

paulhead said:
So I finally got around to popping off my dif cover to get the D35 shafts out and see what carnage was in there. Like I suspected, tore up the spider gears. Almost done putting my 8.8 (with 4.10's) in. Got a D30 with 4.10's gonna put in after I'm done with this.
IMG_0352.jpg

IMG_0353.jpg

I chopped the stock shock mounts to get a little more clearance too.
IMG_0350.jpg

Those shock mounts look alot like mine...

Justin

Did the parking brakes, filled the dif, gave it a once over then took it for a spin. Felt good. Hauled butt on the freeway, no vibes
icon10.gif
. Brakes feel a little soft, almost hitting bottom but I am able to lock them up after alot of presure. Don't notice a big difference between the 4.10's and 3.55's.

I know the vid is an old post, but I just watched it, LOL, I thought I was watching a commercial for a locker. Would've saved the rear dshaft since you would've walked right up those ruts, no need to bash.

Been there, done that with D35 spider gears though. I swapped mine out for a powertrax no slip until I could get my 8.8 put in. That was a few years ago.

locker_015.jpg

So I'm in the process of swapping out front axles, one (D30) with 3.55's for one with 4.10's. Never took out an axle with coils and control arms. I got the general idea but is there a sequence in taking things apart that may make my life a little easier?

(BTW, I'm getting the UFC fight this weekend, carne asada at 5pm, pm me if interested in coming over. )

Some of these steps are obvious but I'm just covering all bases:
1. jack up the xj pretty high and use truck/suv jackstands with high enough extension
2. remove brake calipers off but leave em connected via brake line so you dont have to bleed em
3. Remove Driveshaft from pinion yoke
4. place jack under axle
5. disconnect the lower shock mounts
6. disconnect trackbar at the axle end
7. disconnect control arms at the axle

INstallation is basically the reverse.

To help you rotate the pinion to get the control arm bolts to line up, use a large pipewrench on the knuckles with a hydraulic jack on the handle. Or the old school / po boy method is to use a rachet strap

Back