• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Spaz's New Look

SpazMoid

NAXJA Forum User
So I decided to go ahead and do my fender flares. Using the old ones was out of the question, so I opted for the steal look. I'm suprised at how well they came out. I also decided to get rid of the fact that I had paint pealing, 1 white fender and 1 black fender. $27.04 later, I had a Flat Black jeep. I sanded the intire thing down, primed it, and shot it with wrought iron black. Also got rid of most my rack, due to gas mileage being above $3.00 now, and the fact that it was a bit much of a wind block. I am planning on doing just a front mount light bar with about 4 lights.

Heres some pics.

I know Joe's in line for some new fender flares :)

P4240016.jpg

P4240017.jpg

P4240018.jpg

P4240019.jpg

P4240020.jpg

As pretty as those are, won't they rip off on the trail?

-Jay

pSYChedXJ said:
As pretty as those are, won't they rip off on the trail?

-Jay

I think NOT. Not only are they welded to the metal edges all the way around, but I have also added support braces to the frame of the jeep. They are 1/8th" thick. Once welded, I took caulking, and caulked the seem, then painted over it to give it a smoother look. To give you an example, I use them as side steps to get onto my jeep. They arn't going anywhere.

damn! gas prices makes people do some crazy sheeeet!

those look pretty good man. i would like to see some pics after there first meeting with a tree. if they hold up i may copy you. i likey!:cheers:

SpazMoid said:
Also got rid of most my rack, due to gas mileage being above $3.00 now, and the fact that it was a bit much of a wind block. I am planning on doing just a front mount light bar with about 4 lights.

That's commendable of you to try to make an effort to save on gas, but do you really think it's going to make an ounce of difference? Unless you had a rack like a pirate's chest installed sideways, I doubt it will be appreciable. I guess if it was made of lead and iron it might help. But honestly now, the jeep has a coeffiecient of drag roughly equal to a pair of frigidaires and with all the stuff we do to em I doubt a relatively small porous roof rack affects mpg that much, if at all.

But hey, look at the bright side! With all that coin you save at the pump, you could buy, say, a mocha this month! But just a tall.

:D

SpazMoid said:
I know Joe's in line for some new fender flares :)

Hell yes I am those are sweet in person

SpazMoid said:
I think NOT. Not only are they welded to the metal edges all the way around, but I have also added support braces to the frame of the jeep. They are 1/8th" thick. Once welded, I took caulking, and caulked the seem, then painted over it to give it a smoother look. To give you an example, I use them as side steps to get onto my jeep. They arn't going anywhere.

I think so. They may not rip off right way, but they'll definately take some bruises. They'll rip off eventually. They always do.

edit: and I hate you. You stole my new color. I'm going a different route.

I applaud your effort on the fender extensions. I made something similar out of 1/8" plate but don't stick out as far. They are welded and braced too.

DSCN9525.jpg

However, I have bent mine and repaired them a few times already, and they don't stick out as far. If you run that on any decent trails in the NW, those will die a horrible, mangled death. I'm not trying to be a jerk, I think the idea is good and they look decent, but expect trail damage.

Paul, stay away from O.D. green. It's MY color:laugh:

K, just so you all know. I dont give a sh*t whether they get beat up. My rig is a trail rig/daily driver. This fender project was for non other than for the Bellevue Police Departments Entertainment. I don't doubt that they won't get beat up, and I expect it, just as long as they don't break off is all i'm concered about, cuase i don't want the Bellevue Piggy's giving me a ticket.

EDIT: Bknudsten.... Not all BPD Cops are bad. Just like 99%. Your the 1% thats cool :)

Cndlpwr said:
That's commendable of you to try to make an effort to save on gas, but do you really think it's going to make an ounce of difference? Unless you had a rack like a pirate's chest installed sideways, I doubt it will be appreciable. I guess if it was made of lead and iron it might help. But honestly now, the jeep has a coeffiecient of drag roughly equal to a pair of frigidaires and with all the stuff we do to em I doubt a relatively small porous roof rack affects mpg that much, if at all.

But hey, look at the bright side! With all that coin you save at the pump, you could buy, say, a mocha this month! But just a tall.

:D

I may not notice that much at the pump, but I sure as hell arleady notice me not haveing to fight the steering wheel, with the wind, and the "top heavy" feeling. I drive to E-Burg every weekend practically, and it is nice to not have to keep the jeep straight with both hands. Plus I do notice that when the wind picks up, it's not a unforgiving.

Also I felt that the rack once again was too heavy, and well I'm trying to not draw too much attention for piggy's.

So, I am confused. You did all that work to your fenders and the roof rack buisness because you are worried about the police??

Yet you run no front bumper? :huh:

I may be outdated but last time I checked...
Washington State Bumper Law said:
Bumpers: A special motor vehicle shall be equipped with a bumper on both the front and rear of the vehicle with the exception of motor vehicles where the original or predominant body configuration, provided by a recognized manufacturer, did not include such bumper or bumpers in the design of the vehicle. For the relevant model year, bumpers must accommodate recognized manufacturer impact absorption systems per applicable Society of Automotive Engineers (SAE) Bumper Standards or equivalent standards.
Bumpers are optional equipment on vehicles defined as street rods and kit vehicles by the Washington state patrol vehicle inspectors.

Bumpers, unless specifically exempted above, shall be at least 4.5 inches in vertical height, centered on the vehicle's centerline, and extend no less than the width of the respective wheel track distances. Bumpers shall be attached to the vehicle in a manner equivalent to the original manufacturer's installation. Bumpers shall be horizontal load bearing and attach to the vehicle frame to effectively transfer energy when impacted.

The maximum bumper heights will be determined by weight category of gross vehicle weight rating (GVWR) measured from a level surface to the highest point on the bottom of the bumper. For vehicles exempted from the bumper requirement for the reasons stated above, a maximum frame elevation measurement shall be made to the bottom of the frame rail. Maximum heights are as follows:
..........................................Front ..........Back
Passenger Vehicles ................22 Inches .....22 Inches
4,500 lbs. and under GVWR .....24 Inches .....26 Inches

Last edited:
doesn't that make every vehichle in this group illegal to drive?

SpazMoid said:
EDIT: Bknudsten.... Not all BPD Cops are bad. Just like 99%. Your the 1% thats cool :)

HMMMM................We'll see about that.

WTF_LOL said:
So, I am confused. You did all that work to your fenders and the roof rack buisness because you are worried about the police??

Yet you run no front bumper? :huh:

I may be outdated but last time I checked...

LOL

Well I fit the 4.5" height demensions, but well if you count the inside of the "bumper" for the tire demensions then i fit.... lol not the outside though.... oh well no warnings about that one yet, so no need to fix it

SpazMoid said:
I got stopped by a Newcastle Officer, and a Bellevue officer, both gave me warnings, about not having fender flares

So... You have two different Officers from two different agencies stop you, theyre both nice enough to only gave you warnings, and your complaining? Saying 99% are bad? I'd be willing to bet that should you be pulled over again any chance you had of future leniency just got flushed down the toilet. Bravo... Nicely played.

bknudtsen said:
HMMMM................We'll see about that.

Back