• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

caster ?

Your Jeep may wander on the highway, and the wheels may not want to return to center, after a turn. If you don't experience these problems, then you'll probably be OK. A number of stock trucks ran with "0" caster.

xjbubba said:
Your Jeep may wander on the highway, and the wheels may not want to return to center, after a turn. If you don't experience these problems, then you'll probably be OK. A number of stock trucks ran with "0" caster.

like xjbubba said ^...the only issues caster will bring up are related to drivability. the caster angle won't wear tires or cause vibrations. i was a front end mechanic for over 10 yrs, if the left and right angles were within a half degree of each other (if the settings couldn't be even, i'd prefer the left side to be the lower of the 2), i'd be ok with it. just my $.02.

xjbubba said:
castor works in conjuction with other steering parameters. The "stock trucks with 0 castor" referred to run variations of SAI, mechanical trail, camber, steering pivot offset and wheel backspacing that differ from the Cherokee. Adjusting your castor to settings that are substantially different than that recommended by the factory should take these other parameters into account. A minimum of 5 degrees of castor will help your Jeep track straight and dampen steering oscillations.

Back