• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Tranny Cooler out of Rad. Loop

mmmkay325

NAXJA Forum User
I know this topic has been discussed...cause I've been reading all the posts. But I can't find out what people are doing when they remove their radiator from the loop when they install a tranny cooler. AW4-->tranny cooler-->AW4. What are you using to plug the holes in the radiator where the tranny lines run into. Thanks for any help!!:guitar:

Do you have to plug the holes?

No need to plug the lines at the radiator. If you're going to cool the P.S. fluid add a second cooler.

haven't thought about cooling my steering pump. What would make me need to cool it....does it burn up that much fluid to need a cooler? Does it have something to do w/ larger tires?? Is that why tonight when I checked my steering pump fluid it's almost empty? Please inform me. But also if I don't run my cooler to the rad. and don't run the steering pump. Then what do you plug them with?

mine has a stock aux tranny cooler that feeds in conjunction with the radiator one. you are supposed to use both the radiator and the aux trany cooler if you dont have one stock, otherwise whats the point?

I always remove my tranny lines from the radiator and run a seperate cooler. Your tranny fluid will never be cooler than the engine temp if you run it through the radiator. I saw 10-15* drops in temps when bypassing the radiator. My engine ran a little hotter (had a large winch blocking the rad a little) with it bypassed. That tells me that the engine was transferring heat into the tranny fluid instead of out of it.

What would you expect to leak from there after removing the trans lines? The trans fluild does not mix with the engine coolant, they are seperate systems housed within the radiator, but they are not related at all except for both needing to be cooled by the radiator. If the radiator is removed from the trans loop then that leaves the radiator with only one job "cool the engine".
The only time that the two fluids would ever mix is if there was a leak within the trans cooling section of the radiator.

Rockslut said:
I always remove my tranny lines from the radiator and run a seperate cooler. Your tranny fluid will never be cooler than the engine temp if you run it through the radiator. I saw 10-15* drops in temps when bypassing the radiator. My engine ran a little hotter (had a large winch blocking the rad a little) with it bypassed. That tells me that the engine was transferring heat into the tranny fluid instead of out of it.

:wstupid: ;)

Back