• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

U-Joint straps, re-use or replace?

98XJSport

Destiny is the rising sun
Im pulling off my rear driveshaft this week and was reading the manual. Says to use new U-Joint straps when putting it back together. Is there a reason or is it simply overcaution? Should I try to get some straps, or just put it back together?
Thanks for the help.

There are times when I have pulled the driveshaft to do a repair (add shims or crap like that) and used the old ones again. I've not had a problem yet. I do know that NAPA has the straps in stock and they are cheap so if you wanna be extra safe you can go that route.

I'd get some straps. They're under enough strain.

I have a dye-check kit (for finding cracks) and I'll check them when I take them out to use as spares, but I prefer to put new ones in.

Oh - the yoke screws should be 1/4-28x1" (For D30 and D35) - you can use socket heads, and pick up a little more room to use the socket in there.

5-90

anyone know a general price from a dealership? gotta get a seal there anyways, prefer one stop shopping.

t-case rear output seal, I know it would be cheaper at advanced, but I hear lots of hit or miss quality problems.

Problem is i need the parts asap if I want to have any chance at wheeling.

Thanks for all the quick help and info

I'm replacing my UJ this weekend, got straps for under $5 at the parts store, cheap enough for the piece of mind

Back