• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

front driveshaft in rear

amsXJ

NAXJA Forum User
I'm looking to put an SYE on my 2000 XJ. Will a front shaft from a 1989 4.0, 6 cyl, auto XJ work as the rear shaft on the 2000 XJ? Thanks.

It should work. I got mine from a 99 XJ and it works fine - I think its more important that the vehicle that it is going INTO has an AW4 tranny, NP231 TC and the C8.25 rear end. My rear shaft length from yoke to yoke is 32.5 inches if that's any help (2000XJ, 231, AW4, 8.25, AA SYE)

My XJ is the same as yours. So, no modification to the stock front shaft? I should be able to install SYE, shaft, and axle shims, that's it?

Nope, I didn't do anything except get new U-joints. How much lift are you running? I'm at 3.75", shimmed the rear 3 degrees, and I am running JKS boomerang shackles that probably helped tip my pinion angle up a hair too....

Jeepinoutfitters.com has a HD SYE for $219 shipped.....great deal, its the one I have...its either an AA or VERY similar...best deal I could find on an SYE.

Did a search on here, found some good info in another thread for you...

http://www.crownautomotive.net/catalog/axle/propeller_shafts2.html

XJ 89/01 4.0 Automatic 30.660 53005542

Looks like its the same part/part number from 89 to 01, so you should be good to go! Might want to double check the part number or collapsed length, just to make sure!

To run a front shaft in the rear 'correctly' you should have a auto yourself as well as what the shaft was pulled from. Doesn't matter what transfercase as both the same length. Also a 8.25 or D44 rear axle. The D35 had a nearly a inch shorter pinion length and the manual is also about that much shorter so you could end up with as much as 2" less spline engagement as the first mentioned setup!

Back