• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

How heavy is the XJ

KSXJ

NAXJA Forum User
Ok so heres the deal. I am looking at an alum trailer with a 5k capicity limit. I know that the steal ones are at 7k, but wondered if this would be enough to haul my XJ with 35s? I like the idea of a lighter trailer but not if it can't hadle towing my jeep.

here is a picture of it.

DSC01101.JPG

Go weigh your XJ.

Full tank of gas.

That should answer your question, there are simply to many variables to determine how much your vehicle weighs.

Rev

about 6 inches in front of the wheel area started to bend. and it was getting worst very quickly

My trail xj weighs 4200# YJ fully caged 4500# stock XJ is aproximatly 3900 with skids and tow points

thanks for the quick replys. Didn't work out anyway, just got an email the trailer sold this morning before I could get there :( But maybe it is for the better if it had gotten messed up.

Most probably the reason it bent in front of the axles is from loading/unloading a vehicle without supporting the rear of the trailer. I went to Harbor freight and got 2 swing up style tongue jacks and welded one on each side at the rear of my trailer for support. No more trying to lift the tow vehicle off the ground when trying to get on or off the trailer.
Dave

I have found a couple trailers like rehabs for sale. But I am wondering if there is a reason you couldn't cut off those rails? Or at least far up as the tires would go. Do they add any support at all? I wouldn't need to do it now, but when I switch to 35s and hopefully beadlocks some day I don't know if I would fit. I know I would have to beef up the fender well some way to go over them. But I am mainly concerned about if I cut the rails off the side if it would hurt the strength of the trailer?

Two things....my XJ mudbogger weighs about 2600 more or less.....and Rehab must be a HVAC / Plumbing Tech....or knows where to find old A/C units to scrap out.:D

Curb weight of a fully loaded XJ is 3380 give or take a few lbs over the years. Add up how much your tires and everything weigh and there you go.

KSXJ said:
I have found a couple trailers like rehabs for sale. But I am wondering if there is a reason you couldn't cut off those rails? Or at least far up as the tires would go. Do they add any support at all? I wouldn't need to do it now, but when I switch to 35s and hopefully beadlocks some day I don't know if I would fit. I know I would have to beef up the fender well some way to go over them. But I am mainly concerned about if I cut the rails off the side if it would hurt the strength of the trailer?

That is a utility trailer. The side rails do add some support. Most of those are not built as heavy as a car trailer. The utilities come in 2 diff. widths. I don't remember the measurements off the top of my head, but with the wider ones you can load a full size truck. You can't on the narrow ones. HTH. JIM.

Back