• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

8.25 Swap

VinceYJ

NAXJA Forum User
I found an 8.25 axle out of a 97 (so its the 29spl) for $250CAN with 220,000kms on the clock. I have a few questions:
1) Where should I look for abnormal wear? The seller says he has checked the pinion and case bearings and they seem fine.
2) Does anyone have a pic of an 8.25 so I can identify it...it's been a while since I've actually seen one.
3) Is this a significant upgrade over my turdy-five? I'm running 33" procomp mud-terrains.
4) Anything I missed?
Thanks all!

I just picked up an 8.25 from my buddy. Mine needs a pinion seal so i would check for that, and all the seals. It is a pretty big upgrade from the 35; the ring gear is about an inch bigger, the axel shafts are thicker and the housing is beefier.

What is different and would need to be swapped to make the switch from a 35 to 8.25?

E-brakes cables?..............any thing els?

My jeep is a 89 XJ w/35 and the 8.25 that i'm getting is 29 spline w/drum brakes out of a XJ..

What problem will i be running into............

Flash

Frank Z said:
U-bolts and spring plates. You might want to replace the centering pins while you're at it.

Spring plates are the same, the holes are slotted. I did this swap on my '00 and outside of changing the U-bolts, I had to swap the e-brake cables off my old D35. The brakes are the same but the cables are different between the pre '97 and post '97.

Good luck. :D

here's a pic of an 8.25 for identification purposes:

axle_825.jpg

8.25 is SIGNIFICANTLY stronger than a D35. Larger Axle shafts and tubes, and very strong pinion and housing.

xj_mike said:
Spring plates are the same, the holes are slotted. I did this swap on my '00 and outside of changing the U-bolts, I had to swap the e-brake cables off my old D35. The brakes are the same but the cables are different between the pre '97 and post '97.

Good luck. :D

xj_mike

So the brakes shoe side of the e-brake cable is different, or the body side......or both.

what cables and cable parts should i be looking for.

hay, Frank Z!

Ya i will be putting a new center pins in. As well as u-bolt because I'm going cheap, and trying my hand at "mix and match" spring stack (LIFT) on the rear while I'm at it!

Flash

djblade311 said:
here's a pic of an 8.25 for identification purposes:

axle_825.jpg

8.25 is SIGNIFICANTLY stronger than a D35. Larger Axle shafts and tubes, and very strong pinion and housing.
Damn thing looks like a D35! I went to pic-a-part yesterday and saw 5 XJ's and probably looked at one and I'm in need of a axle (just blew up my 35). Thinking of going 8.8 but $$ is causing me acid reflux.

wishihad1 said:
the 29 spline 8.25 is comparable to the dana 44....much better then your 35..but if your doing a swap, why not just go all out...dana 44, or 8.8

I'm not sure if this comment was meant for me or not but, if a 8.25 and 44 are comparable........how is a 8.8(not a direct bolt up) or 44 going all out?

A 44 would be nice but i have already bought the 8.25. And going all out is not quite in my vocabulary(as far as suspension and axles go) right now.

going from a (3.07 open) D35 to a (3.55 pos.) 8.25 rear end.....it still my every day driver.

Flash

you can gear much lower in both the 8.8, and dana 44 then you can the 8.25 (which is limited to 4:56s) many more locker options for the other 2..not so much the 8.25. it is comparable but isn't as strong. ive seen people who have 8.8s and run locked 38s, and dont think a thing of it.

Frank Z said:
The e-brakes are cable actuated. The linkage is quite different than the linkage on the 8.25 drum brakes.

Soooo if i had the 8.25 cable, would they attach to the body
(89XJ) with out mod or.............the change was at this end? so i will not be able to by a e- brake, cable for on our the other to fix the problem.

Is the body attachment, what change in 97?(97 would of had a 35 and 8.25)

sorry if I'm not typing clear here.....just tying to under stand.

Flash

wishihad1 said:
you can gear much lower in both the 8.8, and dana 44 then you can the 8.25 (which is limited to 4:56s) many more locker options for the other 2..not so much the 8.25. it is comparable but isn't as strong. ive seen people who have 8.8s and run locked 38s, and dont think a thing of it.

Ya not planning on getting that big!

My Plan is to get 3" of lift 32/9.50/15 or my be 31/10.50/15 3.55 gears and a 4.0 stroker.(4.6)

so even if i did decide to go bigger....4:56 would be plenty.

not saying that the 44 or 8.8 aren't any better, just not necessary for my project..........looks like the e-brake cable would have been a lot easer tho:gee:

Flash.

Back