• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Horible idle/ good high end, help?

KYFHOMS22

NAXJA Forum User
This may be long but I have tried everything that I could think of.

I have been off NAXJA for a while- due to work and life.... But I am at my witts end on my current problem so any help would be excelent.

The Project: 89 4.0 renix, multiple (older) upgrades that have nothing to do with the problem.

Situation: Went up into the mountains to get one last snowmobiling trip in, pulled a trailer with 2 sleds. sledded, after a bad day left and got to the highway back down a mountain road at 15-20 mph,about 9 miles, missed most of the bumps...because I had my father with-hates bumps... then stopped at the highway and it died. Started again and died. and again. Then keeping it running didn't see anything amis under the hood and tried the highway, fealt like it was on 5 or 4 cylinders, hobbled to a safe house and did some testing. Test 1 : all cylinders getting spark. (ouch) and the plugs were fine. Test 2: all injectors getting gas? yes. checked rail, then all injector plugs. Idle lowered with each disconect and came back when replugged. Idle motor did work at the start of the problem but no longer, it just idles at 350-400 and usually dies.(It did bring it up to 1500 to keep from dieing at beginning of problem) runs fine at higher rpms. I have searched archives and almost ripped my haynes manual in half trying to figure this one out. It ran perfect until now, and Ive had it since 1998, so about 8-9 years. I love her but I have a line on a 90 for 500.00, I will not give up on my jeep that easily...Its been too good to me. I Have looked at possible vacume leaks, but there are more lines to test, all fuses must be tested because nothing comes on but the shift and brake light when I turn on the key, meaning that there is no check engine light (I thought it would turn on with the key to start...) cruise quit 7 years ago, not sure where else to look. (for my life there is a bigger list of probs that I cant figure out either) I just want to be semi thorough for anyone who wants the specifics of this problem, or has had this happen before, sorry i'm so long winded.

Other things Ive noticed: blowby must be increasing or there is a bad ring/piston/valve problem that is allowing it to puff out the oil filler as fast as the rpms are (as if its a single cylinder/set of valves)
This problem of blowby was minimaly existant for all those years then started after a leisurely ride down the mountain and has gone away and come back since along with the idle blubering/dieing problem, leading me to think: not pistons and rings, valve prob mabey(valve guides?) Not electrical due to previous tests+new cap rotor plugs lines and ends, still great plugs, fuel ok due to new pump and filter last year, pressure at rail, and injector plugs making a diffrence when each is unpluged. Im at a loss and thinking its something internal, Is there anything else I should test? I would appreciate any suggestions. Thanks.

Kyfhoms22, email: [email protected] , or call me at 406-240-2012, I need the help and thanks for any help in andvance.

Also, what ever happened to the xjlist I know its been years but it doesn't seem in existance anymore...

Could be a CPS problem. Also from the sounds of your blowby/oil leak problem your motor could probably use a good rebuild.

I ended up replacing the black piece inline on the egr and the sensor thing at the end of the vacume lines on the side of the inner fender with a vent. It seems to run beter than I have ever had it before. the black inline piece was completely plugged on the bottom. hopefully this fixes it for a long time.

Back