• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

steering problem/question

fluidmotion

NAXJA Forum User
steering problem/question w/pics

so i went and swapped some 3/4 ton axles onto my XJ and i am running full hi steer on the steering. the problem i have is my steering radius is horrible. its worse than my dads dodge truck. my box still does the 3.5 turns lock to lock but i dont even come close to hitting any of the steering stops on the axle. anyone know what might be the problem? i got pics of full lock each way and im standing straight on towards the jeep, sorry they are so dark

full lock left
lefthe0.jpg

full lock right
rightek3.jpg

Last edited:
The high steer arms you are using probably require you to run a longer pitman arm. I had the same issue when I swapped in my D44, and ended up running a Waggy pitman arm. I have since gone with BTF arms and I can now run my stock pitman.

Greg

I believe the distance:
from your balljoint to the draglink attachment point on your highsteer arm.
needs to be the same as the distance:
from your pitman arm to steering box attachment point to the pitman arm draglink attachment point.

I don't know if I explained that very well

It sounds like your pitman arm is to small for your highsteer arm. You can try the waggy arm, it is about 7 1/2 inches, which should match up to your highsteer arm.

yeah i found that out on another board. my arm currently is 5.5" center to center. so yeah ill see if i can find a waggy one. thanks for your help

Back