• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

How long did it take you to drill

I took mine to a local 4x4 shop b/c I didn't ahve the right size bit ot drill press...I gave them 5 bucks, they told me it would could however much it was worth to me...we were both happy!

I learned it's usually cheaper to buy a new bit when doing any kind of specialty project like this. Especially if you're time is worth more than the purchase price.

The nice thing is you end up with some tools that you'll likely need in the future that will help you or a buddy out in a spot.

drilldoc.jpg

Drill doctor.... always worked good for me when my bits get dull.

Bought a new bit, Used my buddy's Milawakee drill, went slow and used some Boelube. Took maybe five minutes.

The Pitman arm is next!

I have horrible luck with drill bits. I can drill for days with a new bit. I can start out with a small hole and gradually increase the size... still takes days. But, I recently purchased a cheap set of step drill bits from HF for like 10 bucks and they go through everything like a hot knife in butter!

I will only use step bits from now on. Why didn't someone tell me sooner how great these things are?

As posted above, your drill bit needs to be sharpened. I'll sell you one already drilled that I have in my garage and then you'll have your stock one to fall back on in case you ever change.

acttually, the biggest problem I find when people are drilling is that everyone seems like they are pussy's. when you drill a hole, grow a pair and get into it. if your burning up bits then get stronger.
I've been known to fit as much of my 230# fat ass onto a small little drill and bog down the motor when drilling a hole. don't just lean against it. STAND ON IT. hook your arm around it and give it hell. Put every ounce of effort into it and you have the hole drilled in a matter of tick tocks...
for something like the trackbar bracket... face shield and lots of fucking leverage with a sharp bit will have it done in about 8 seconds.

Sierra Drifter said:
Sharp bit + some cutting oil + fair amount of muscle.
SO seldom do I waste time with cutting oil. too damn messy. I save it for tapping.:gee:

Rawbrown said:
acttually, the biggest problem I find when people are drilling is that everyone seems like they are pussy's. when you drill a hole, grow a pair and get into it. if your burning up bits then get stronger.
I've been known to fit as much of my 230# fat ass onto a small little drill and bog down the motor when drilling a hole. don't just lean against it. STAND ON IT. hook your arm around it and give it hell. Put every ounce of effort into it and you have the hole drilled in a matter of tick tocks...
for something like the trackbar bracket... face shield and lots of fucking leverage with a sharp bit will have it done in about 8 seconds.
I have heard that the extra pressure put on the bit actually transfers a lot more heat away from the bit. I just use a lot of oil and grind the bits sharp with a bench grinder. It take a while to fiqure out how to grind them but if you practice and not over heat the bit on the grinder you can get OK results.

Make sure you use a quality bit.....the 19.95 50 piece drill index from Habib International is a waste of money....

Sierra Drifter said:
Sharp bit + some cutting oil + fair amount of muscle.

Sharp bit + some cutting oil + lots of muscle + Drill in reverse = over 75 minutes! :laugh3:

once I finally got my trackbar out of the bracket (don't ask, P.O. messed up that big time) it took me 10 minutes with a single speed drill and a new 5/8" bit. Used some old 10w30 as cutting oil.
I'm with rawbrown, I put all my weight into it, all 130#'s :)

It took me about 10-15 minutes the largest problem I had was the drill bit getting in a bind, then the huge drill I was using tried to spin me ( I didn't appreciate the abuse...) The muscle+good bit+big drill+oil method worked for me, but it was no pleasure cruise....

Well I was borrowing a bit from a neighbor so I didnt have to buy one. But I went out and spent 16 bucks on a new bit. Got the battery charging. I shouldnt have any problem putitng prssure on it. I weigh about 300lbs

BIgDaddyChia said:
Out the damn track bar hole for your adjustable track bar.
With a new bit and some oil about 5 minutes.

Back