• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Are RE control arms rebuildable?

osweezea

NAXJA Forum User
I am trying to purchase back my first cherokee. It's a 96 classic with 139,000 miles, 231, stock axles, 33's, and a RE 4.5" lift. When I drove it tonight, the control arm noise was much louder than what I remember. Are the RE control arms rebuildable as far as the joints go? If they are, how much should I look at spending? I plan on going to long arms in the future, hoping nearer than farther, and would it even be worth it? Any help woould be great! I'm suppose to pick her up tomorrow night. Thanks

The Superflex joint are rebuildable for sure. I just upgraded my uppers to the new style RE hourglass shaped bushing. It was about $30 a side for the two UCA bushings. IIRC the lowers were about $50 a side to convert to the newer bushing style.

And if they're regular rubber bushings figure about $8 a bushing.

osweezea said:
Do i need to get them from RE or could I get them elsewhere

They use regular Clevite style rubber bushings. IIRC, they are the same sizes as the stock XJ control arm bushings.

John90XJ said:
They use regular Clevite style rubber bushings. IIRC, they are the same sizes as the stock XJ control arm bushings.
no, they are an hourglass shapped bushing now. They stay in and don't press to one side anymore.

osweezea said:
Do i need to get them from RE or could I get them elsewhere
It's your choice where you get them, but expect to pay higher when dealing with RE direct. Check with JohnJohn at www.bigoffroad.com. He's a regular here at NAXJA and has very good pricing.

By the way, when you get the long arm kit installed, consider putting your controls arms up for sale here. I'm looking for RE UCAs at the moment. :)

If you have the old style RE lowers, do they use a XJ lower control arm bushing at the frame side? I have a feeling that my rubber bushings are on their way out, since I am planning on re-building the flex-joint, might as well do the others as well.

The old ones do take a stock UCA bushing, however they suck. I spent the extra coin to upgrade to the new bushing. They are alot better and will not walk out like the old style.

BlueCuda said:
The old ones do take a stock UCA bushing, however they suck. I spent the extra coin to upgrade to the new bushing. They are alot better and will not walk out like the old style.

What did you buy the whole bushing joint including the outer metal sleeve and weld the new one on or can you use the new hour glass bushing in the older style arm?

I've had mine in for 3 years now and never had one "walk" out on me. Girlfriends, yes...(unfortunately, they always come back, or at least try too:roll: :roll: :D ).........rubber bushing , no.

They come with a machined sleeve which you press/hammer into the arm. About 50% of my UCA bushing material was mushroomed out of the arm when I tore it down(this was on the chassis side. The new hourglass style won't do that and they are much easier to change later on as well.

I will add a cell phone pic of the walked out bushing when I get home.

BlueCuda said:
They come with a machined sleeve which you press/hammer into the arm. About 50% of my UCA bushing material was mushroomed out of the arm when I tore it down(this was on the chassis side. The new hourglass style won't do that and they are much easier to change later on as well.

I will add a cell phone pic of the walked out bushing when I get home.

mmmm....I'll have to look into them. Though I have flex joints on my UCA frame mounts. I am talking about the Lower control arms.

Rawbrown said:
no, they are an hourglass shapped bushing now. They stay in and don't press to one side anymore.

We're both right.

Since many have never had any issues with the stock rubber style bushings, that would be a valid choice without having to buy RE's stuff at their markup.

Back