• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Pissed Off, They Want My XJ Off The Road

tkjeeper

NAXJA Forum User
That's right, up here in Ontario, Canada we have vehicle emissions testing and if your rig doesn't pass you cant renew your license therefore that vehicle is off the road. My pride and joy '93 is in jeopardy, they say it's burning oil the bastards!!! That thing has never smoked in it's life, and just like that they can ground me. Oh I'm fighting mad!!! But like usual you can't fight the gov't. But I'm trying, get back to me with any advice PLEASE!!!

that sucks. Could you try to go do somewhere else to inspect it or tell them that you put a differnt motor in it? Or that you rebuilt it since their last inspection? How can they tell its burning oil?

kscherokee said:
How can they tell its burning oil?
Yea, what is involved in the test?
Is it a sniffer?
If it is, it must be getting numbers that are too high.
Go to a shop and get a tune up, find out what is really the problem.
If it is burnning that much oil, you would know that.
If it isn't burnning oil, someone messed up and this can be fixed.

Perhaps Red Green can fix it with duct tape!

Yeah, that's whats so bothersome, they didn't even put it on the machine, they looked and said it was burning blue smoke and didn't even bother hooking her up! It's an exhaust check for hydrocarbons, NO, and other particulates. It is checked at idle and at 25 mph. It's a big money grab here. I've never had a problem before, they're killing me!!! Death to all beuracrats!! lol.

I don't see how they can just fail it without sniffing it.
Take it to another inspection station, sounds like those guys were too busy sniffing glue to bother with hooking it up.

In the UK our annual inspections (called MOT) are 'policed' by a group called VOSA. They conduct random spot checks by getting undercover inspectors to submit vehicles for inspection. They catch dodgy testers out to make money on repairs. VOSA provide the public with a level of confidence that inspections are the same wherever they are performed. Perhaps you have a similar body of officials you could complain to. If you have paid for a service and the inspector has not performed it you may also have some level of consumer law that can be used.

Vince said:
In the UK our annual inspections (called MOT) are 'policed' by a group called VOSA. They conduct random spot checks by getting undercover inspectors to submit vehicles for inspection. They catch dodgy testers out to make money on repairs. VOSA provide the public with a level of confidence that inspections are the same wherever they are performed. Perhaps you have a similar body of officials you could complain to. If you have paid for a service and the inspector has not performed it you may also have some level of consumer law that can be used.

That would be similar to our Bureau of Automotive Repair (a division of the State Board of Equalisation, as I recall) here in CA - with analogues in most other states.

There's VERY little room in my world for shonky tradesmen (most suits I consider shonky to begin with.)

Check around - I know here, they're required BY LAW to post the number for the relevant "consumer relief" agency, maybe they have something similar up by you?

I'd not mind seeing an overhaul of emissions testing down here - smog checks typically run twice what I pay for tags...

Vince - nice to see someone "across the puddle" who's ponied up to be a member - well done! Here or abroad, it's support that keeps this site up and running...

5-90

Here in PA it is required that all fees for testing be posted clearly. It is also required of us that the customer be given a copy of there vehicles emissions report. On that report there will be listed the things measured along with the values observed and the limits. This form should also have a number to contact the state or government agency that polices it. For us it a division of the State Police & D.M.V. You can go to another station that is of good reputation and ask them to inspect your vehicle. When you get the result you will have the phone number and name of the agency to contact. Then, you may report the other station. You will problably need their inspection station number which should be posted in plain view of the public to do so. I helped somebody do that to another staion here as I am a certified inspector.

Having been a former emissions inspection / testing / repair mechanic......

Yeah, that's whats so bothersome, they didn't even put it on the machine, they looked and said it was burning blue smoke and didn't even bother hooking her up! It's an exhaust check for hydrocarbons

Sounds like the technician that looked at your XJ seems to think he saw "visible emissions" meaning he saw blue smoke in the exhaust and decided you were burning oil. They do the same thing here in Colorado.

How many miles on your engine? Is the blow-by tube from the valve cover to the air box clean? If the tubing and or air box is oil covered, then I'd say you've got a legit problem where the emissions issue is concerned.

I'd do an oil change to a heavier viscosity, clean and or replace your spark plugs and make sure you're getting good spark so that it's burning everything as best as possible. Then take it back for the test.

tkillby said:
Yeah, that's whats so bothersome, they didn't even put it on the machine, they looked and said it was burning blue smoke and didn't even bother hooking her up! It's an exhaust check for hydrocarbons, NO, and other particulates. It is checked at idle and at 25 mph. It's a big money grab here. I've never had a problem before, they're killing me!!! Death to all beuracrats!! lol.

I'm calling BS. Any emmisions shop in ON will take your ~$40 and run it on the rollers and give you the results of the sniffer test because that is the only way to get your $450 repair exemption (or whatever it is called these days).

Stop ranting and read the regs, or get someone to read them to you if you have to.

Starting point: Ontario's Drive Clean

not to get off topic but how do you put a body lift on a unibody vehicle???????????????????????????????????????????????????????

Back