• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Trying to put together a Budget Boost - questions

maalox

NAXJA Forum User
Excuse me for being a bit of a n00b, but I'm a little new to Jeeps and trucks/SUVs in general. I've been researching my options on a budget boost, and I've have a few questions before I make a decision. Before we get to that, I want to state up front that I am looking to add some clearance(just picked up some near-new 30" BFG AT KOs at a hell of a price), but I am not planning to do any crazy rock crawling with my truck. It will definately see time off-road, but I don't see myself bouncing it off of trees and rocks any time in the near future. That said, I am looking to do a 2" lift on my '89 XJ, and have looked at the following options:

*Rocky Road 2" Budget boost, with front spacers and rear shackles. $110. Add BPEs(do I really need them?) for another $29. The price is right, it seems to be a nice kit, but it still leaves me with what I believe to be sagging rear springs. So tack on another $230 for new rear leafs and bushings, and $44 for u-bolts(might as well while I'm in there, right?) Total: $412.00 for a 2" or $422.00 for a 3"

*Rough Country complete 3" rear leaf springs. $245.00 RR U-bolts $44.00. RR 3" front spring spacers $59. RR BPEs, $44. Total: $392.00. Or for another ~$40, I can skip the spacers and put in new 3" coils up front, total $432.00.

Maybe I'm completely out of my mind, but it seems to me that it would make more sense to do new complete 3" rear springs as opposed to new OEM springs and shackles? And how necessary are the BPEs?

Also - I'm going to do upper and lower front control arm bushings while I'm in there. Thoughts on poly vs. rubber? Again, I'm a bit new to the Jeep thing, so be gentle, but I want to know if I'm doing something stupid or using the wrong products so I can avoid problems. I've read enough threads here to avoid AALs, and I really don't want to get into bastard packs.

Thanks for your help, everyone.

If you aren't going to be doing any hard core off roading, then go rubber. You'll get a much nicer ride out of that. I recommend getting a 3-3.5" lift kit with new coils and leafs. Add a leafs don't work very well with worn rear leafs and you will get better travel with new coils. The added cost will be worth it for a better driving and more capable vehicle.

If you go anything over 2", you should probably get new shocks. BPEs aren't necessary, but they are a nice thing to have...If you want a super nice ride, on the road, look at OME springs...I couldn't be happier with mine. And, they flex great on the trail...I have a total of 3.75" of lift, running 30x9.5 GY MT/Rs....OME springs, poly spacers up front, and jks boomerangs in the rear...

Back