• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Cost of modding vs. buying built?

rammie

NAXJA Forum User
OK I found a late 80s XJ with new 32s and rims, sliders, front tube bumper, and some other offroad mods. Has over 200k. It would cost me somewhere around $2000 to get it.

How does this compare to picking up a cheaper stocker and then building it up myself? I would be able to do all the bolt ons but ive never installed a lift before. Would have friends and most tools (except welder) to do a lot with free labor.

I want to build my own some day anyway but im new to jeeps and would like to start with something ready to go, just wanted to see what you guys think.

I would say go for it. I bought mine semi built. It had 33s and an RE 5.5 kit on it. I payed a fair price for a stock XJ and got a lift kit and wheels tires for free more or less. Just look over it real good and make sure there is no booty fab lol.

Forgot to say it has RE 4.5 lift. Yeah im really leaning towards just getting it. I think i can learn a lot once I have it. So what should I look out for when checking it out? thanks again

It is way cheaper to buy one already built.
I say buy it and throw in a stroker motor.

In my opinion, if the thing has quality parts on it and is in good condition, go for it. If not, spend that money on a newer stocker that is in better shape and build up your skills as you build up your rig. You'll learn a lot and be a better driver in the end.

I bought mine semi built, and I had to go through everything anyways. There will be a lot of jank shit that the previos owner did. Plus you can also sell the lift parts and tires when you go bigger :thumbup:
Scott

Back