• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Crappy Tires

RoadTrippin

NAXJA Forum User
Ive had it with these crappy Wranger SR-A's I had put on back in Feb, gimmick to get me to buy Goodyear. Its been raining today and yesterday and I have fishtailed 3 times while trying to turn into traffic, though thats not saying much as this has happened on dry pavement doing the same thing. They have no ice traction to speak of, and are over all pretty ****ty.

I had a set of Dunlop Radial Rover A/Ts on before these heeps and they were fantastic, significantly out performed these in all conditions. Im going to swap out the tires this week but the question I have is would it be worth it to get the BFG A/T KO's or stick with the Dunlops. I know BFGs are great tires but my Jeep sees more pavement than offroad use as it is the DD commuter, though it does encounter muddy dirt roads and a trail every so often, so would it be worth the extra $$$ for the BFG's? Ive heard treadwear is mediocre at best, my Dunlops lasted me 65k before they needed to be replaced would BFGs last that long?

Just lookin for some input before I swap out the pieces of **** for some new tires this week.

BFG's will last you that long. Rotation is the key on any tire, but the compound in the BFG's is similar to the compound in the Dunlops (hard).

Siping is the necessary for wet traction. I just put a set of Firestone Destination AT's on the girlfriends Cherokee for $87 ea. Nice looking tires, tighter tread than the BFG's, but that jeep also sees MUCH more street time than offroad time. Another option if you want something a little different is the Toyo AT.

All are very long wearing tires. Any will about double the lifetime of a Goodyear. I've run Dunlops before on other vehicles and were happy with those too. About the only ones that I ever complained about were Goodyear.

I run BFG A/T's and they are great. Dun lops shou ld be fantastic too, as shou ld Miche lin (Miche lin owns BFG)

I'm not sure why your Goodyears suck? As I understood they were good tireas we l l!

I've got the Wrangler Silent Armors on mine in 235/75/15. Combined with a 242 they're great in every condition I've had them in sofar on non off-road use. I just haven't had them off-road yet, but Dad got a pair for the back of his company V-6 F-150 and is happy with them so far too in both paved and non paved situations.

The SR-A's are pure sh**.....they came on the KJ we have from the factory and I tossed those suckers at 25K (not to mention they wore like crap too). I got tired of fish tailing in the rain ALL the time. Even hitting a small puddle in the road that was left over from a rain or from somebody watering the grass would make the back end come out. I was quite surprised at how bad they did, considering Goodyear is a very well known brand of tire, and usually a pretty good one.

Replaced the crapyears with Bridgestone Dueler A/T Revo's and havent looked back. Absolutely amazing tire. Sticks to the road like glue....havent lost traction in the rain yet. I even punched it one time trying to spin them off the line in the rain and all I managed to do was get them to hop a bit. After being on for a year and a half, with regular rotations and balances every 6K, they still look as good as the day we got them.

I have the Dueler A/T 693's on my XJ and hate em. They were good for about the first year but they've REALLY gone down hill since....they're also wearing like crap. I'll be replacing them with BFG A/T's once I get my lift on. I hear many say they get over 50K on the BFG's.

For a street tire, Pirelli AT scorpions, amazing tire, somewhat faster wearing, 60K tire for sure but flat out awesome on wet and dry roads, great off road in dirt, mud, rocks. Sears carried them for like $89 then they stopped and the pirelli dealers wanted like $130 a tire, went with dunlop at's, wore them out and went with BFG AT/KO on all our jeeps now. Good tires though they do have a tendency like all bigger at's to want to ride on top of snow once you get over 35mph or so.

99XJSPORT06 said:
Replaced the crapyears with Bridgestone Dueler A/T Revo's and havent looked back. Absolutely amazing tire. Sticks to the road like glue....havent lost traction in the rain yet. I even punched it one time trying to spin them off the line in the rain and all I managed to do was get them to hop a bit. After being on for a year and a half, with regular rotations and balances every 6K, they still look as good as the day we got them.
x2 on the Revo's. I have had them on for over a year and I have had no problems. I only slid to a stop in the rain one time, and that was on an off-ramp a few minutes after it had started raining. Nothing is going to be great in that situation. They aren't cheap, but they are worth every penny. Brakes and tires are not something to cheap out on. That is your ass.

i will never own a set of goodyears again..
i think i had the wrangler rt/s? whatever came stock on the 95 explorer.
we bought the truck used P.O. put the tires on shortly before we bought it they were like new. The tires first of all sucked in wet. everytime it was wet we would spin especially hitting those white lines at the stops, and this is not a light suv a bit heavier than the cherokee ( 800-1000 lbs). by 3 years later they were trashed all dry rotted out and sidewalls cracking.
i got rid of thembefroe they were even done with they sucked so bad. bought some BFG long trail t/a's and havent looked back these are great and better traction and no dry rot yet :D bought an expedition last year had the long trails on it too.. i was happy to say the least, and they were new.

well even tho I know this dilema has been taken care of I will post anyway for shiots and giggles
I have always been a BFG guy
even convinced my mom that BFG AT KO's were the way to go when she bought tires last she originally bought em for her 02 ram, but ended up getting a new truck within weeks of buying tires which was an 05 F250 supercab diesel 4x4 and with around 5k on them she pulled em off the ram and set them aside to use on the superduty
she now has around 55-60K on her superduty and the tires are just about done for
but you figure she has had them for around 2.5 years and about 65k and they dont get rotated anywhere close to as often as they should
she will probably get another 10-15k out of them before she swaps em out before next winter

keep in mind all of this (minus about 5K) is on a heavy azz diesel F250 so a grand total of 75-80K miles is great for a tire

BUT
on an all weather XJ my own personal reccomendation for anyone on anything other than an all out mud truck would be yokohama GEOLANDER AT+2's they wont last as long as the BFG's but I have em on my XJ in the flavor of 235/75/15 and i love em
in thick mud just like any AT it will clog up a bit
but they seem to have a decent self cleaning ability better in fact than what I have seen on the BFG AT's and other than mud they are AWESOME
I have been "almost" stuck a couple times but have never actually gotten stuck so far and I have NEVER air them down for wheeling they stay at 35 or more ALL the time
I have about 30-35k on them and still have some life left they will easily hit morethan the 40k they are supposed to
they get rotated every 5k but I also do like to spin the rears every now and again so the centers are showing a little wear and tear but nothing substantial
I will probably replace them before next winter just to be on the safe side but I will probably keep them around for spares cuz I figure they will probably still have some life left at that point

I also work with a guy who (until last month when it got totaled) had them on a KJ to replace his crapyears and he has nothing but good things to say about em as well

cliff notes
GOODYEAR: crap tire in practically any flavor will never buy any goodyear other than an MTR

BFG all terrain T/A KO's: great tire but you pay for it

YOKOHAMA GEOLANDER AT+2 : also a great tire better in mud than BFG AT's and outside of mud one of the BEST tires I have ever had experience with
I LOVE THEM AND THEY WILL PROBABLY BE THE NEXT SET OF TIRES I BUY

Now, I'm not quite sure what y'all are yelling at Goodyear about.......I've had nothing but good exp. with them. ('cept at the dealer...some of those guys are morons). I put 4 Wrangler RT/S (235/75/15) on the wife's Blazer 2 years ago, and they are wearing excellently......she only destroyed 1, after clipping a curb pretty good one day and destroying the sidewall and rim.

I also put a pair of Wrangler SR-A (235/75/15) on the back of my S-10 this winter. For a light 2WD truck, they stuck to the road better than anything I've ever driven on.......excellent in water, snow, ice, and even decent in the mud.

The Jeep I just bought has new Bridgestone Dueller A/T (235/75/15) on the ground, and I'm must say, I don't like how they seem to be wearing with only 5K miles on them. We'll see how it turns out, I guess. But those Wrangler SR-As will certainly be mounted up as winter tires.....Lord knows I paid enough for them, I'm sure as hell gonna run them bald

I'm looking to get the Michelim LTX A/T. Has anyone had luck with these on a DD? I have snow usually 6-7months out of the year. ALthough at 127 ea the price is deterring me

Hey Man,
I just got Dick Cepec FCII's (31's) for my XJ about a month ago and I LOVE them. Great traction off road, VERY QUIET and smooth on road. I'm surprised I don't see more folks runnin' these. Correct me if I'm wrong Jeepers, but don't these have a more "modern" construction process than say, BFG AT's? I know I've read reports of the BFG's lasting ridiculously long (60-70K). I hope the Cepecs are as durable. I also REALLY like the Firestone Destination MT's. They are supposed to be FANTASTIC as well.

Good hunting,
crusT~

Look at general tires they off one much like the BFG all terrain only at a much cheaper price about 85 per tire for the 235's and from most accounts are just as good as the BFG's

I also have the Yokohama Geolander AT+2.I was amazed by the traction on snow,ice and wet pavement.I would recommend this tire to anyone.You won't be disappointed with it.It replaced my autopar Sportsman tires.You wanna talk crappy tires???Those are about as bad as they come.

Back