• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Change out instrument cluster

ratoutjian

NAXJA Forum User
I've got a '99 XJ with an instrument cluster that only has idiot lights and no tach. I would like to swap it out with a cluster that has speedo, tack, and gauges for fuel, oil, water temp, and charging system. Is it as easy as swapping out one from a wrecking yard our are there additional items I need to purchase.

Thanks, Andre:flame:

For a 97+, you don't need anything else. Straight swap. Easiest mod in the world.

Pretty much plug n play, just make sure the bulbs on the new one light up the correct options you have, if you have full time and the cluster came off of a part time jeep the bulb will most likely not be in there, swap the bulb. I'd try for one of the same year and it can even be a TJ...
Hmmmm, I've not looked or if I did not remembered, is the KJ liberty the same cluster as the XJ/TJ, that would be handy...

Rich the KJ is not the same (they are round like the WJ), and IIRC some of the TJ clusters will not work either. ALSO IIRC the 99-01 clusters are the same. Now something else you are going to run into is getting the mileage correct on the new one. I would check with your local dealership service center about correcting the new one to match. They can do it even if they say they can't. I would suggest asking them to look at the old ODO before you swap, and then once you swap have them correct the new one to match. Also IIRC there are some senders that need changed. If you do a search there are several threads on the subject of what all needs done.

Back