• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

D44 100% bolt on disc?

barnettzack

NAXJA Forum User
hello, i've searched the fourm and can't find what i'm looking for. i've got a dana 44 out of a 87 cherokee and i'll swap it under my 93. is there a 100% bolt on swap from other jeeps? the problem is the dana 44 axle tube flange is what it comes down to. i don't want a elderodo, crown vic, hybred disc brakes. also i want my parking brake to work.

possiable OE rear disc

TJ
wrangler rubicon, dana 44 (the bearing retainer bolt pattern is the same from what i've read on another site)
wrangler what ever model dana 35
WJ
grand cherokee, has both spicer 35 and 44 non-clips, (i've replaced alot of axle seals on these)
the wj's have a 5 on 5 bolt pattern for the wheel, so the rotors won't work unless redrilled or changed from another jeep.
ZJ
has a dana 44 but i have never seen one of these axles. so i don't know if the tube flange is the same or different of the zj's with the D35.

now i've searched carquest database for part numbers and none of these are the same from calipers, pads, e-brake shoes. i've been doing the professional mechanic thing for 7 years now.

thoughts?

~Zack

Last edited:
well, i've seen a guy take zj disc and boar out the inside to fit the 3inch chry. 8.25 axle tube. then they bolt up to the tube flange. has anyone tryed the other jeeps with disc listed? i'm fine with welding hose brackets or grinding off pieces, but not filling and redrilling the flange brackets.

~Zack

rather than re typing everything that's been said before on all of the different options for swapping, i really would suggest a good search. there are more than a few good disk brake swap writeups. then you can judge for yourself which one is the best compromise for you.

There are MUCH cheaper disc brake conversions for the 87 XJ D44 than the $480+ Teraflex conversion. My last 96 hours has been spent researching this very thing.

You have 2 very good solutions if you want bolt on and new.

This one at $279 w the rotors

http://www.tsmmfg.com/2562_44.htm

OR

Wait for Ruffstuff to get their XJ D44 bracket out middle of next month. Probably less than $70 for the brackets. He's just waiting on the insurance company to give an OK.

Remember, the Teraflex conversion kit gives you everything, rotors, calipers, brackets, backer plates, e-brake,even line extensions.

Last edited:
Anyone using the RuffStuff disc brackets on an XJ D44..?? No apparent provision for e-brakes...correct? Also, with removal of the flange, presumably there is provision on the disc bracket to receive the
axle-retaining bolts??

If you use crown vic disc brakes, you can have a working Ebrake. YOu just have to drill the Ebrake cable holding part of the caliper brackets, and then use a clamp to get the cable secured to the lever.

Most people never finish the Ebrake part of a disc conversion because they're not necessary.

I went with the Tera Kit.. very pleased.. I wanted a bolt on set and I got it. The ebrake you need to by a part for but thats it. I got it from dc4x4.com for $416! love that price. Had my axle guy do the whole gearing/axle/shafts/truss at once so I dont remember the part exactly some one else might... Anyways.. when I called TSM MFG they wanted $700 or so for the whole kit that would include ebrake.. LAME..

XpedientJ said:
Anyone using the RuffStuff disc brackets on an XJ D44..?? No apparent provision for e-brakes...correct? Also, with removal of the flange, presumably there is provision on the disc bracket to receive the
axle-retaining bolts??

Nobody is using these yet, We haven't yet released them? Call & ask us......They will be for the Small metric GM pattern......Think El Dorado.....

Dan Fredrickson
www.ruffstuffspecialties.com

Gravel Maker said:
Nobody is using these yet, We haven't yet released them? Call & ask us......They will be for the Small metric GM pattern......Think El Dorado.....

Dan Fredrickson
www.ruffstuffspecialties.com

Well hurry up and release them Dan, so I can place my order!! :)

Back