• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Fan Clutch Ticking like Lifters?

Rick Anderson

NAXJA Forum User
Anyone have a failed fan clutch?

This is a 2.5L L4, I just replaced the valve stem seals and lifters. When the motor gets warm its starts to tick. The sound seems to be near the front of the motor, it could be coming from under the valve cover, but the sound is equal just over the fan.

The fan clutch also seems to be working in reverse, when it gets warm it loosens up and moves less air, I've even overheated idling a couple of times, and tightens up when it cools off. It seems the ticking noise grows worse with the fan clutch warming and loosening up, and getting better as it cools and tightens up.

Anyone have a fan clutch fail and create a ticking noise a lot like lifter ticking?

Rick Anderson said:
Anyone have a failed fan clutch?

This is a 2.5L L4, I just replaced the valve stem seals and lifters. When the motor gets warm its starts to tick. The sound seems to be near the front of the motor, it could be coming from under the valve cover, but the sound is equal just over the fan.

The fan clutch also seems to be working in reverse, when it gets warm it loosens up and moves less air, I've even overheated idling a couple of times, and tightens up when it cools off. It seems the ticking noise grows worse with the fan clutch warming and loosening up, and getting better as it cools and tightens up.

Anyone have a fan clutch fail and create a ticking noise a lot like lifter ticking?

Nope, that's a new one, but I have had an A/C shop missalign the front upper body hardware over the radiator and the radiator when they pulled it to get to the A/C condenser plumbing late last summer. Started the jeep and heard this ticking sound, and thought oh, chit, took a few minutes to find it, but finally figured out the clutch fan blade was touching the fan shroud at the very bottom and could only be seen from the bottom looking up. It was a ticking sound that was hard to isolate!

Well, I have a new water pump and fan clutch, I'm just idling the motor with Cooling system Flush, using the old parts, for a couple more hours to get the last of the gunk out of the cooling system. Once I'm done with that, I'm going to put the new parts in. I'll let you know if it was the fan clutch or if I still have it.

Ever hear of NEW lifters ticking? It really seems like its the fan clutch, but I've convinced myself of the wrong cause for a problem in the past.

When I installed a new to me motor in my 1990 a few months ago, I had a ticking when I first started it up. It wasn't real loud, but loud enough I thought it was something internal engine. It turned out to be the A/C compressor bearing, and that was with A/C off.

As a quick check, pull the serp belt for a minute and see if the problem goes away. If it does, it is not a lifter.

Rick Anderson said:
Well, I have a new water pump and fan clutch, I'm just idling the motor with Cooling system Flush, using the old parts, for a couple more hours to get the last of the gunk out of the cooling system. Once I'm done with that, I'm going to put the new parts in. I'll let you know if it was the fan clutch or if I still have it.

Ever hear of NEW lifters ticking? It really seems like its the fan clutch, but I've convinced myself of the wrong cause for a problem in the past.

You probably know more about these than I do, but what about a loose tappet?

Could also be an exhaust leak, that front bolt on the exhaust manifold on the 2.5 is prone to breakage.

I just replaced the studs on the exhaust manifold, the rear was a little iffy, since I damaged the threads on the head a bit. BUT, they seem to be holding good. The noise seems from the front of the engine and the stud in the damaged threads are in the rear of the engine.

I'll likely try the belt off for a few seconds. Its only happening now when the motor is hot, so I don't know if I can recreate the conditions safely.

Ecomike, a Hydraulic Lifter is a tappet. Well, I guess in a way, are referring to another part of the valve train? Although the rest of the valvetrain looked pretty good (old lifters looked good except for pretty thick varnish) I do worry that maybe there is enough wear to create lash that the lifter can't compensate. Thing is, if that was true you'd think the tapping would be worse when cold (parts contracted) and NOT warm (parts expanded). Its the opposite in my case.

Rick Anderson said:
I just replaced the studs on the exhaust manifold, the rear was a little iffy, since I damaged the threads on the head a bit. BUT, they seem to be holding good. The noise seems from the front of the engine and the stud in the damaged threads are in the rear of the engine.

I'll likely try the belt off for a few seconds. Its only happening now when the motor is hot, so I don't know if I can recreate the conditions safely.

Ecomike, a Hydraulic Lifter is a tappet. Well, I guess in a way, are referring to another part of the valve train? Although the rest of the valvetrain looked pretty good (old lifters looked good except for pretty thick varnish) I do worry that maybe there is enough wear to create lash that the lifter can't compensate. Thing is, if that was true you'd think the tapping would be worse when cold (parts contracted) and NOT warm (parts expanded). Its the opposite in my case.

Good point by RichP about an exhaust leak, they can sound similar to a lifter/tappet tick

I thought a sticking hydraulic lifter (which can stick and cause a tapping noise, right?) was different from a loose tappet, but now that you mention it I may be confused on the knomenclature. I am not an engine rebuilding expert, I use to sell and service cleaning equipment to engine rebuilders where I learned a lot, so I may have some gaps in my knowledge there.

Looking at a text I have handy here what I use to call a tappet (maybe incorrectly) is listed as a rocker arm. So what I should have said was a loose or worn rocker arm! I think they call it too much lash? I doubt it would be a sticking lifter if it only does it hot now. That might be an indication to look at the exhaust leak possibility.

Good catch!

So what exactly is tappet?

Back