• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Piecing fiberglass together (header panel)

BIGSLVRXJ

NAXJA Forum User
Today I got a 97+ header panel at the junkyard. This was the most complete one I had seen since I got the one for my 90 XJ so I decided to snatch it up. Anyway, it's cracked into 2 pieces. All but one of the mounting points are very secure though so I figure it should work out just fine. Does anyone know of a good product to piece this thing back together though? The cracks are almost like seams, it does fit back together just fine, I just need something to bond it. Am I looking at just bondo, or epoxy and then bondo or something else? Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks,
Collin

for strenght I would go with cloth and epoxy on the back side... I have had great success in the past with WEST SYSTEMS products... made for boats, expensive but it is bullet proof.

I have never done any auto body work but I have done quite a bit of boat (fiberglass) repair. If you sand it naked (the piece, not you) and feather in some glass fabric with resin it should be very strong. Probably stronger than the original piece. If the area you need to fix is, say, 2" X 2" cut a piece of fabric 3" X 3", lay down a good coat of resin, lay down the fabric, another coat of resin, work out the bubbles, let it set up after you've "rough finished" it. Sand it, pop any of the remaining bubbles and fill them with glass putty or bondo. Sand it, wash it, bondo it, sand it, wash it, let it dry, hit it with acetone, let it dry, paint it. Something like that should work.

Just so you know the header panel is not fiberglass, if you look in the drivers side headlight part of the header panel it says SMC (Sheet Molded Compound).

"SMC is a polyester-based material, but it cannot be repaired with polyester resin. This is due to the mold release agent that is present throughout the entire SMC part. Unlike conventionally molded parts where release agents are applied to the mold surface, SMC is compounded with them in the resin mix for quicker processing. This means that as the damage is sanded to prepare a good bonding surface, fresh mold release agent is exposed. Polyester resin products are not strong enough to adhere to this surface. SMC SHOULD ONLY BE REPAIRED USING EPOXY-BASED RESINS, FILLERS AND ADHESIVES. When painting, use only catalyzed type paint systems. "
http://www.fibreglast.com/contentpages-Fibreglass+Repair+Composite+Repair-123.html

The one on my '99 was broken at the lower horizontal section. I "roughed" it up and used a standard Bondo brand cloth repair system on it. I did the repair from the back side and all I had to do on the front side was put some glazing putty in the area, sanded it well, primed and painted.

You can't tell it was ever repaired.

The one on my '99 was broken at the lower horizontal section. I "roughed" it up and used a standard Bondo brand cloth repair system on it. I did the repair from the back side and all I had to do on the front side was put some glazing putty in the area, sanded it well, primed and painted.

You can't tell it was ever repaired.

That said, do as 89Daytona recommends and get a product that works with SMC. I didn't know at the time and my repair has adhered really well.
I'd say it's stronger in that area than it was originally but time will tell if it lasts.

Plus, it really could have been left alone. I didn't even notice it was cracked until I removed the header panel.

Back