• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Scan Tool To Read 2004 Codes ???

Aaaaaghhh! A grand! Run,....

Seriously, the '04 grands are ODB-II Any generic scanner can read the codes. When the ODB-I system came out, every manufacturer came up with thier own proprietary systems, which was not what big brother had in mind. When they updated to ODB-II, the feds made everybody use generic scanning software. So much easier to pull the smog check.

Any OBD-II tool should work.

Part of the problem with OBD-I is that it was "mandated" by the state of California, so there weren't any real standards applied. OBD-II was regulated from the start by SAE, so there were standards in place to design around (unlike OBD-I...)

5-90 said:
Any OBD-II tool should work.

Part of the problem with OBD-I is that it was "mandated" by the state of California, so there weren't any real standards applied. OBD-II was regulated from the start by SAE, so there were standards in place to design around (unlike OBD-I...)

Despite the "standardization", there are still 3 different protocols that could be used withint that standard connector. At least they lined up all the generic OBDII codes. There are still lots of manufacturer specific codes, though. OBDII did push for better diagnositcs which is a definite plus. For example the AW4 controller can now tell you if you have a bad solenoid.

i believe the 04 grand uses the can bus system ( controller area network ) , still obd2 but a network style of communication between the modules within the vehicle .
so it may take a newer scantool that supports can . not just any obd2 scanner .

Back