• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Door hinge options

Lukipela

NAXJA Forum User
So im looking for door hinge options since a tree tried to take my door off and messed up the hinges. I want a quick easy way to remove the door to put on my future half door and switch back.

works great, I did it on my MJ. Just follow the directions

Lukipela said:
will it work on a later model xj like an 01?
I don't think so, after 98 the door hinge is differnt and does not use the same frame side connection. I don't know if it will work for them.

I want to try this door mod it but I'm afraid my doors will be wobbly and not close right. Has anyone tried this modification?

I have been running this mod for over a year, on a DD and the doors close better and tighter than ever, and also they have not sagged at all.

The only thing you have to do is replace the TORX bolts with HEX hed when you install so that you can tighten them, and don't loose the skin off your hands.
and cut the hinge pin down so that getting the door off is easier...

Yea I'm using my recently busted up stock boor to make a half door... i just want to know if the holes would line up. I plan on cutting off the old messed up hinges and fabbing up some new ones so that the door will sit right.

The Door Removal Mod is AWESOME!!! I did it to my 91 and, honestly it is my favourite mod. Of course i don't have many, and all of mine are homebrew (cuz' I'm broke) but it is totally worth it. Definitely replace with regular Hex head bolts. Size 10 metric i believe... (M10) And your life will be easier if you cut one of the pins shorter than the other, so you can put one in and then line up the other. Not much, just a little, 1/4 to 3/8 maybe.

Heck if you can find some nice ones, why not mount another handle on the forward side of the door?

And just in case it's windy in your area you can use safety pins in the door stop to keep them functional. (Small Hydraulic fitting type pins work great too.)

I haven't really found a satisfactory soultion to keeping the speakers working though. Maybe those hot rod type electrical connectors... I'll experiment.

jesterbomb said:
I haven't really found a satisfactory soultion to keeping the speakers working though. Maybe those hot rod type electrical connectors... I'll experiment.

flat trailer connectors.

Flat Trailer connector's you say? Hmm... I'll have to slow down my drool walk down the tow section of the parts stores in the next couple of days to see if anything catches my eye.

Good call man, thanks.

jesterbomb said:

Behind the kick panel trim by your feet there are connectors for all the wiring in the door. You don't have to cut the wires and make new connectors.

bubba said:
Behind the kick panel trim by your feet there are connectors for all the wiring in the door. You don't have to cut the wires and make new connectors.
yeah. but then you have to pop of the kick pane and undo the connectors with the little locking clips, and pop out the grommet that they feed through and pass each of the connectors through the now sharp edged hole and not lose or damage the grommet. every time you want to take the doors off. flat trailer connectors were much easier for me, YMMV.

cumorglas said:
yeah. but then you have to pop of the kick pane and undo the connectors with the little locking clips, and pop out the grommet that they feed through and pass each of the connectors through the now sharp edged hole and not lose or damage the grommet. every time you want to take the doors off. flat trailer connectors were much easier for me, YMMV.
trailer connectors here too

I am in the process of replacing my drivers door, lots of good stories in that door but the wife hates it an daughter wont ride in it anymore. Just for fun I drove around the block with the door off.

WOW talk about visibility and tire placement.

I dreaded putting the door back on, its a real pain to put in the torx bolts and now that I have spare door I might try a half door.

The hinge mod is an absolute must for my reinstallation. It will be 10 times faster to mod the hinges and install the door instead of just bolt it all back up and I get ability to pull it. This mod is a great idea. I cant wait to get back into the rocks with the pin mod and no drivers door.

John

Back