• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Do I have abs?

dlarrivee

NAXJA Forum User
I have a 2001 XJ Sport.

I have a Chrysler 8.25 rear axle.

When I take the tires off, there is a little gear on the axle with a sensor facing it...

I'm assuming I have ABS... There's also a module under the rear seat.

But I have read that the 8.25" is the axle that non-abs XJs came with?

j99xj said:
Just go slam on brakes somewhere and see if they lock up.

back when I was first getting excited about my XJ i couldn't figure out what axle I had so I just slamed the brakes, and the locked up. I'm happpy I have a 8.25

Simple test to see if you have abs. Turn the key on, engine off, look at all the dash lights that come on(lamp test) and see if the abs light comes on. The light will not come on unless you have an abs module.

I don't believe it turns on if I were to do that. There is however an abs light that I have seen come on in my cluster.

I'm still not sure what the gears and sensors on all 4 wheels are for since I don't have abs?

Are you sure you have the 8.25? The housing should be flat across the bottom, with two big lumps of cast iorn sticking down on the side where the cover plate curves up.

Look under the hood. On a non abs system, the hydraulic lines go straight from the master cylinder, and except for the proportioning valve, there's nothing else. If you have an ABS controller in the circuit, you have ABS (of course it might not be working). I don't see why you would have tone rings and sensors and a deceleration switch under the rear seat if you didn't have ABS. The obvious next question is, are you really sure you have a Chrysler axle, and is it possible that they put ABS on Chrysler axles in 2001?

There is a smaller module beside the master cylinder to the drivers side with a bunch of steel lines, and I'm sure they're brake lines.

I must have ABS, I don't see how all the equipment would be there and just not on...

I'm damn sure it's an 8.25 rear diff too.

Ok, 8.25 it is. Your description of the equipement seems to be ABS.

The master cylinder on the NON-abs unit has 2 brake lines running out of it into a smaller combination valve. From there, there are 3 lines running down to the brakes.
The combination valve(non ABS) is about 3 inches long and maybe 3/4 in. wide.

The ABS Master cylinder has 3 or 4 lines comming out of it, and then a whole spagettie pile of lines running around to the boost pump, pressure modulator,boost pressure switch, and yes, there is a combination valve in there too.
The pressure modulator on a ABS system is a little smaller then your fist.

ABS FRONT axles have the sensor wire running into the outer knuckle right behind the tie rod and the tone wheel would be just outboard of the U-joint. Is that equipment there?

'Suppose someone could have swaped in a 8.25 and converted it to ABS? Would that be bizzare?

The pressure modulator on the ABS spaghetti thing is a little black can right?

I'm sure all the ABS equipment is there, I'm not home right now (I work out of town), but when I get home I will get pictures of everything and we can get to the bottom of this. The tone wheel looks like a cog that would spin with the axle shaft correct?

Is there another component to do with brakes mounted underneath the body of the Jeep, in front of the rear axles?

worthless.gif

Until I see otherwise, I'm betting that if you actually have the stock axle in that Jeep that it's really a D35.

Go here http://www.yuccaman.com/jeep/history.html#axles to see both and compare.

Only In A Jeep XJ said:
The module under the rear seat is the amp to the radio.

I meant the one underneath the Jeep itself, but also under the rear seat.

I must be mistaken, but I'm not sure. I will check when I get home.

The c luster you describe under the hood seems to be ABS....I've never heard sensors in the rear though, not sure what that is.

Never heard about this module under the jeep as well.

Is there a gold watch attached to it by any chance? :)

That box under the XJ in the back is emissions related. IIRC it is the evap charcoal canister, and something else, but it has nothing to do with the brakes. If you have the Infinity audio system then the amp will be under the rear seat on the left (drivers) side. The G switch is on the same side attached to the hump in the center. It sits on top of the bracket that attaches it, and has a little arrow on it.

Back