• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

cat back recommendations?

MjTjNJ

NAXJA Forum User
Ok, I want a 2.5" direct fit cat back exhaust for my 00 XJ. I'd prefer it didn't end in a coffee can-sized, ricer chrome exhaust tip. I have a class III tubular hitch I'm putting on, so I figure when I drop the exhaust to do this, I'll make a day out of it. Anyone have any experience with aftermarket cat-back systems? What's a good one, and will they fit with a hitch??
Thanks!

MJTjNJ

Do you like the sound of turn downs on a Flowmaster 50? If so, I would just cut off the stock exhaust, and run the downpipe into a high flow cat and into an F50 with turn down just before the rear axle. This will give you maximum wheel travel without banging the exhaust on the tubes or a truss (if you have one). This is what I did. It works well cause I can trim the rear quarters even more and get more flex out of them when I rid myself of the Bushwacker flares. ;)

dynomax catback from rockauto.com.

I had a flowmaster on my MJ, and liked it, but I recently had one on my XJ and I did not like it. It was too loud for my liking. I like the dynomax, a little bit ballzier than stock, but not too loud at all. I like to be low key.

I put the Borla catback on mine and I loved it. It fit between my springs and the hitch I had, but my hitch was stock so I'm unsure of wether yours will be different or not. I'm in the process of buying it back and if I get it, I'll try to get a sound clip of it.

I got a borla cat back from artsound on ebay for 220 shipped. It sound awesome, but isn't drony like the flowmasters can be. And also it flows ALOT better.

I got Rusty's cat back with a delta $40 for about $170ish shipped if I remember correctly. I also added my own 3" tip on for looks, but it's not one of those coffee can style ones.

I've only had one issue so far with Rusty's cat back, and i've not heard of anybody else having this, so I might just be the isolated case. Anyways, here's my issue: clicky here

Other than the above, I love it. Great sound and it's held up really well to the elements.

Rusty's with the Delta 50 Flowmaster. It's a little loud, but nice!

Back