• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Another "No Start" Problem

theschwarz1

NAXJA Forum User
I bought a 92 Xj that doesn't run for $100.
I decided to find out why it doesn't run and if it was too much work I'd part it out. Well I was able to turn the crank with a 3/4 socket and a bull bar, so that was a good start. Then I had a new battery put in, but the whole situation with "I turn the key and nothing." began. I used a screw driver between the two posts on the starter and got sparks and the starter started going but thats it. When the key is turned it makes no other noise than, other than the buzzing of momentary alarms, one click in the relay box (which feels like its the fuel pump relay that clicks).
I am going to try and shift into neutral and all that business to check the NSS. I have a on again off again problem with that in my daily driver.
What is a way to tell if the solenoid is bad? I read a bit on direct connecting solenoid wires to the battery terminlal? Is this right?

starter started going? Did the engine turn over and not start? did the starter not engage the flywheel? Do you have power? Do you have backup lights? What voltage does the battery read?

If the engine turns over when you jump the starter and nothing happens when you use the key, it sounds like the nss. There are several ways to wire around it--if that is the problem.

ok, it is running now.
The engine was not turning over when the key was turned. Nothing was happening. When the screw driver touched the two posts on the starter, just the starter made noise, the engine did not turn over.
I read all the posts on the NSS and should have thought of that as my current jeep has issues sometimes and I have to shift to neutral to get it to work.
I read a post of a guy who got so frustrated and slammed the shifter forward when it was already in park and the engine turned over. Well that trick worked for me!

Now I am going through the normal maintenance stuff because it runs a little rough. Other than changing the plugs wires and oil filter, are their any other items I should hit right away on an engine that hasn't run in two years?
It keeps its rough idle in park but when its in gear it wants to cut out. I need to put new gas in. should I drain the gas tank first?

I cant believe it's even running!

After two years, I think I'd drain the tank at least most of the way, change the filter, and then maybe run some injector cleaner in it as well. You can disconnect the line at the filter, hot wire the fuel pump and just pump it out into cans down there.

It's probably also a good idea to go through the brakes, take the rear drums off and check for rust and seizure, make sure the adjusters still turn, check drums and rotors for deep rust, etc. You might be able to get away with the existing rotors and drums if they're just surface rusty, but after sitting a while rotors tend to get pretty badly pitted, and your brakes will be lousy. Consider new pads and rotors. Also check the rubber lines to the calipers for cracks and signs of aging. It wouldn't hurt to do a complete fluid flush on the brakes too.

Expect the front axle u-joints to be pretty stiff after sitting that long. They may free up, so don't automatically assume they're bad, but you may find you have to replace them either now or soon.

Open up the air cleaner box and make sure there aren't mouse nests in it, and also make sure that exhaust flow is good. Mice can get into the muffler too.

Go through the engine compartment and unplug and replug every connector you can find. A little electrical contact cleaner wouldn't hurt either. Look especially hard at the connector just forward of the air box, which joins the front light harness. It's a favorite for corrosion, and you can lose your lights.

Look for vacuum leaks too, especially in the line that runs down under the battery, to the reservoir that's hidden behind the bumper. Corrosion from the battery can eat through the plastic there.

Congratulations, by the way, on scoring a hundred dollar Jeep. Enjoy!

Back