• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Turbo Jeep?

terryd

NAXJA Forum User
has anyone ever put a turbo on a 4.0L HO? i'm thinkin about low boost, around 5-7 psi w/ an intercooler. i think the bottom end will take that boost level w/ maybe lower compression pistons. ARP bolts and such too. any input? (may be doing that along w/ a stroker setup.)

i'm just lookin for a little extra punch at crusing speed. i was gonna use a turbo mustang intercooler w/ lebaron vents to direct air into it. this will be no drag motor by any means, just wanna see how that 4.0 will react to a little boost. anyone know where i can pickup a T3 or something similar for cheap?

a friend and I are looking into the whole turbo thing. We were talking about making my renix XJ a turbo but I picked up a 1990 325is and well that will be a little more fun to put the turbo in.
forn what I gather 5-7 psi will be more then enough for the straight six. its the turbo intake that will be fun. I you choose to go a head post it up. I would love to see how you do it.
Oh and turbo out of a eagle talon might be an option. I'm still learning keep us uptodate.

ok man. i was gonna just weld a turbo base mount onto the factory exhause manifold. from my dealings w/ past turbo cars i've worked on and looked at, the manifold on the jeep now is just as good if not better than most stock turbo manifolds. and it'll put the turbo down where the crossover pipe is now, and route the intake tube under the engine mount and up to the stock air box, then the pressure tube will go up around where the mastercylinder is and through the ford intercooler. any suggestions on the fuel system, i was thinkin a boost refrencing pressure regulator and tune w/ that and a wide band 02 sensor.

most bimer people like to do a wasted spark ignition and a megasqirt fuel manegement setup. Like I said still learning.
From the initial plan it looked like plenty of room for the turbo. We were thinking the same thing about the manifold. a small inter cooler with a scoop on the hood for our idea.
you never know maybe I will end up doing this after all. Leaning towards deisel conversion for the XJ though.

algeroth79 said:
most bimer people like to do a wasted spark ignition and a megasqirt fuel manegement setup. Like I said still learning.
From the initial plan it looked like plenty of room for the turbo. We were thinking the same thing about the manifold. a small inter cooler with a scoop on the hood for our idea.
you never know maybe I will end up doing this after all. Leaning towards deisel conversion for the XJ though.

Nice bimmer e36. That was going to be my first car (white 89 instead) but couldn't get the loan. Ended up with a e28 a fews years later for free from the original owner though!

There's a company up here that carries turbo kits for Jeeps. They've done a few and they're SWEET! They've done TJ's and YJ's but I don't know if they've done an XJ yet... should be relatively similar anyways...

Also check out the Hesco Forums for 4.0 tuning info: http://jeepers.biz/forum/default.asp

IMG_1240.JPG

Back