• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

trail rig shocks? needed?

4x4xj

NAXJA Forum User
alright i have a trail only rig and had out grown my shocks... i dont feel like buying anything i dont need, budget trail rig.... no do i need shocks if the jeep doesnt see the road, now im not a idiot and i know the ride will be so rough and will not be soft but hey its a trail rig. so let me know if anyone has trailed with no shocks on, or let me know where cheap shocks are. thanks.

You must have shocks...... unless you like bouncing your way down the trail!

You can buy 4 pro-crap shocks from 4wheelparts for about $100..... and they will be 100 times better than no shocks. But also 100 times worse than good quality shocks.

4x4xj said:
so yes they are needed? for what reasons? let me know, anyone wheel with out shocks in!

The shocks control spring rebound & compression forces. Without them your springs are free to bounce away!

Take them off your rig & stand at the bumper and start bouncing it up and down..... the oscillations will become so great you can nearly bounce it off the ground!

no you would never want to wheel or even drive down the street with no shocks. Going down the street after one bump the vehilce would be constantly going up & down until you stopped, and you'd eventually get sea sick and puke. Skyjacker, rustys & pro comp have cheap shocks if you need shocks for lifted applications. If you have less than 3in of lift or so just go to pep boys or autozone and get the cheapy gas shocks.

rehab said:
rustys offroad also has some pretty cheap shocks. check those out at rustysoffroad.com

dont wheel without shocks, its stupid and unsafe

That's what I run, just a no name shock. they only last a season or so, depending on how much you smash them. When the jeep starts to look like a bobble head when it's on the trailer, that's when I change them. :)

Back