• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

8.8 Swap....

Stang5lgt

NAXJA Forum User
I searched and could not find one of my questions. I was wondering when swaping 8.8 with discs into my XJ what I needed for the proportioning valve? Will adjustable one work or is there another route? I scored this axle for 60 bucks at pull it yourself yard. I am going back to snag some ZJ parking brake cables and ranger yoke. Guy told me 60 bucks for the axle I almost fell over paid him before he changed his mind.

I have a Ford 8.8 w/discs in mine and I didn't mess with the proportioning valve(left it stock), my brakes work just fine. Let me know about the ZJ cables(length of cable,sheath, year), been wanting to get some myself.

If you leave it stock you will have dangerously weak rear breaks. If you pull the o-ring out of the valve spool you will have dangerous rear wheel lock-up. You need a adjustable proportioning valve or one out of a Grand.

hotrod22 said:
I have a Ford 8.8 w/discs in mine and I didn't mess with the proportioning valve(left it stock), my brakes work just fine. Let me know about the ZJ cables(length of cable,sheath, year), been wanting to get some myself.

Ditto. I have much better brake feel than I used to so I'm not gonna mess with it. I just can't get the e-brake to work with the Jeep cables, guess I have to buy some MORE's.

IslanderOffRoad said:
Ditto. I have much better brake feel than I used to so I'm not gonna mess with it. I just can't get the e-brake to work with the Jeep cables, guess I have to buy some MORE's.

The cables I took today from bone yard look like they should work nicely. Came off a 95 ZJ. There is adjustable bolt to make it tighter or looser so I don't know why it won't work on my XJ. Did you take that bolt when grabed yours? I think I am going to skip the proportioning valve for now. Maybe change it later if acts funny.

Stang5lgt said:
The cables I took today from bone yard look like they should work nicely. Came off a 95 ZJ. There is adjustable bolt to make it tighter or looser so I don't know why it won't work on my XJ. Did you take that bolt when grabed yours? I think I am going to skip the proportioning valve for now. Maybe change it later if acts funny.

I got mine from under a totalled XJ that another board member bought back from his insurance company, there was no such bolt on his Jeep.

Back