• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Fog lights and power seat stopped working!

jdebler

NAXJA Forum User
A while back, I noticed that both of my fog lights stopped working. This was after a friend of mine (who works for a Jeep dealership service department) changed my heater core, but I am pretty sure that my fogs were working after he did the job, so I don't think the two incidences are related. The switch lights up and the other switches (at least the rear rear wiper) works fine.

Then today I noticed that my driver side power seat doesn't work. I press the switches in all directions, nothing. I know that worked not long ago, but now it doesn't and I have no idea why.

It is like both the fog lights and the power seats got the power cut to them. I checked the fuses in the passenger side footwell, and they all looked fine. There is no diagram on the backside of the fusebox lid that shows which fuse does what but not were blown.

Other than that, I really don't know where to start trouble shooting this. Anyone have any thoughts or advice? Could the two problems be related or just coincidental? Other than these two problems, I think everything else (power locks/windows) works fine.

Any help or advice is appreciated.

-Jason

8Mud said:
What year XJ?

Whoops...sorry... 2000.

88xjchief said:
My fog lights stoped working and it was the relay under the hood on the drivers side. I dont know about the power seats.

I found the relay box, but how can you tell is one went bad? I should probably know this... :eek:

-Jason

I won't be much help with a 2000. The quickest way to test a relay is to swap it out with another identical relay, There is usually a match someplace else in the PDC. Pay attention and don't forget where it came from.
In the newer model XJ's the fuses are stepped, there is a bus fuse and then the sub fuses for particular items. When you have multiple item failures it pays to check the bus or high amp fuses in the PDC.
A good wiring digram can clear things up quick. I use Alldata a lot, they do a good job of breaking down the sub systems into bite sized diagrams, saves time.

I just sorted the electric seats on my '88 Laredo last week. Found there was no power getting to the motor. Simply wired in new line from the fuse box to the seat motor - Wollah! Power again - I placed the wire behind the kick panel and rooted it under the carpet out the way

Back