• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

New alternator and still no run???

Jeeps in Head

NAXJA Forum User
Ok, I have an 01' cherokee w/ the 4.0 and auto tranny. It has a brand new alternator and tps other than that the engine has no upgrades. Also the engine only has 58000 miles on it. Has a half tank of gas as well.
The other day I drove to my buddies house and parked it for like 6 hours. It ran perfect before this. When I went to go start it up, I got nothing, everything was dead. So I had my buddy jumper it. When I tried to start it up when jumpered it barely was turning over but got it to start but by pushing on the gas a little. Once my foot got off of the gas it died immediatly. I had to rev it up to keep the engine running. We pulled the alternator and got it tested and it was bad got a new one and still the same problem. So my buddy had another battery installed it, same problem. Thought it might be bad ground, went through everything, same problem. Plugs are only about 6 months old. And even checked the coil rail assembly with an ohmmeter and everything is within tolerance. Am I missing somthing? Im getting frustrated, PLease help me.

Thanks

stupid question... are you sure the battery installed was new or could it also be an old battery and have not enough juice left in it to start it.

Ok, I had something similair happen to me. If the battery isnt fully charged my jeep will not stay running without giving it the gas and it runs super rich on top of that. Once the battery is charged up it starts running right. I say charge your battery overnight and try it again in the morning. Hope this helps...

Anytime you change out a failed alternator, you'll want to at least charge the battery. Your "good new" alternator can become a "bad new" alternator in a hurry if you start it up on a flat battery - the diodes end up blowing out from the sustained high-current loads on them.

Anytime you've got a truly flat battery, you should really charge it (even by booster cables) before you try to start your engine and let your alternator finish the job - even if (especially if?) you've got a high-output alternator installed. The reverse can happen - the alternator will "blow out" the battery due to overcharging. The electrolyte can boil off, and you'll cause deep sulphation in the plates.

Treat These Points As Important. You Have Been Warned.

The battery was new in 05' but was in a xj that hasn't ran for a couple of months. We also jumped that one as well and let it charge a bit before trying to start it. Sorry Im kinda new to fixing my own ride so please bear with me, but from the sounds of it Im going to have to at least put a good charge on it and go from there, maybe a brand new battery? I'll get that one tested as well.

Thanks

Yep - charge your battery first. No trouble with being new - we all had to learn somehow. Just lean on the experience and knowledge of others until you accumulate enough of your own. How much is enough? Varies from person to person (I've been doing this for almost thirty years now, and I'm still not sure I have enough...)

Back