• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Tinted my windows today, have a question.

Plays For Jeeps

NAXJA Forum User
First of all, this was the easiest mod I have done to date. $15 from wal-mart for limo 2 1/2% tint.

I just measured each window and cut the size out of a sheet of poster board, then I layed the board over the rolled out tint and with a exacto knife I cut the perfect window section out.

Mixed up alittle Elmers glue, dishwashing soap, and window cleaner :loveu: then sprayed it on, peeled and sticked my tint then used a credit card to get my bubbles out. Its PITCH BLACK and keeps the Jeep at elast 20 degrees cooler.

Looks amazing. I only did the windows on each side behind the drivers and passanger up front. I didn't touch the back since its Illegal in PA.

Anywho, how long should I wait before rolling down my windows?

How long does it take for the liquid still in-between the glass and tint to dry up?

I cant believe some of you guys paid over $200 for a tint job. I even got a sweet sun tan that one of my co-workers commented me about at work today :rof:

when i got mine done i think they said wait 2-3 days

not to flame, but elmers glue? glass cleaner?

there is glue on the film, no need for the elmers,
glass cleaner has stuff in it that will mess with/harm the glue (amonia used to strip the stuff)

stick to a little soap and water next time.

another tip, scrap the cardboard, lay the film on the outside of the window with some of that high tec soapy water, cut bottom and side, move film to the cut side a little then cut other side, center the film side to side, squeege it to the glass, peal bottom edge away from glass, roll down window inch or two, cut top allong edge of glass, round corners and your ready to install on the inside.

others paid 200 but got the whole thing tinted, with a warranty that won't turn purple in 2 years.

good luck, and try and not run people off the road when you don't see them out that 2.5% while changing lanes................

^Dont worry, I wont. I didnt use any tint on the drivers or pass. side windows or the hatch.

As for the glass cleaner, I used a non-amonia based streak free.

The mixture is a industry secret that a friend of mine who works at a local lexus dealership told me about, they retint windows that they mess up while replacing window motors and such. It goes on clear and drys clear all the while it helps bond the tint to the glass.

The tint should really help keep the sun out of my kids eyes which is why I didnt do the entire jeep just the rear windows.

Plays For Jeeps said:
The mixture is a industry secret that a friend of mine who works at a local lexus dealership told me about,
I've been tinting for 14 years, the only elmers I've heard of being used is on the dot matrix on the top of some car rear windows. I've always worried what it will look like after a couple years of the sun beating down, if the sun will turn old dyed films purple, newer metalized films hazy and separate the laminates holding the layers together, it is definatly going to do something to elmers glue :sunshine:

black2door said:
Pics. Id like to see 2 1/2%. Im getting mine 20%
2.5% you don't see in at all, its fine on a sunny day, but when your jeep gets dirty with road grime on a rainy / snowy overcast day, you start missing things, like the person in your blind spot who dosen't have their lights on cause its not quite dark enough for that. at night its not so bad with lights on arround you, but backing out of driveways not well lighted or in parking lots, it gets tough.

black2door said:
Pics. Id like to see 2 1/2%. Im getting mine 20%

spray paint the inside of the window with black, then go outside and look and thats pretty much what it'll look like from either side:laugh:

I did 5% on my jetta and that was a real pain at night.
for me i wont go below about 15% on the jetta and somewhere between 20-30% for the jeep

I went with %15 and it looks real good on a white jeep. Its also still safe for night wheeling :)

Just turn your kids loose in the back with a box of dry erase markers in the color of your choice, makes touchups easy...

^I did that with a sharpie where he already scratched it up.

$12 to tint the XJ and 2 hours to finish it was well worth the price. Even if I have to replace it next year.

The tint on my other cars is all Wal-mart and they have all last so far. At least 2 years for all of them.

Back