• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Front lower control arm length???

jeepster09

NAXJA Forum User
I think I read once that Grand Cherokee front lower contol arms are longer than XJ's and will bolt right on and improve handling on a XJ with mild 3" lift. Apparently they give more positive caster??? Is this true? My 99 XJ does not handle as well since doing lift, alignment is with in spec.:geek:

don't know anything about GC LCAs, but if alignment is within spec why do you want to change it? possibly your "handling problem" is being caused by something else...

give a little more detail regarding "does not handle as well" and maybe some folks can offer up some ideas. did you get a true 3" from the lift? or maybe more? did you have anything done to relocate/change the track bar along with the lift? ensure your track bar is tight, this is a common trouble after mods. are your shock mounts tight? are you hearing any clunks, etc that weren't there before the lift? also, if you take a look at your LCAs you will see that they are now angled downward somewhat (going from body to axle) which will result in a harsher ride as they must move forward as your axle moves upward, pushing your tires harder into whatever is in the road.

Same length but are stronger and have a bend in them to clear the tires during full steering lock. They are wider in the mounting point also.

Jeep has new springs, shocks adjustable track bar all new steering linkage. 2 1/2 " lift and was aligned after install. The steering is less responsive than it was before. Seems to need to require more work steering it on freeway. All front end is tight. Tires are same as before lift and new.

i'm assuming you mean it takes more physical effort to move the steering wheel, right? did you have a new steering box installed as well? i ask b/c i had a new steering box once that was not torqued properly (internally) and caused sloppy/wandering steering...opposite of what you are describing, but still makes me wonder. maybe there is some break-in required on your new steering linkage, but i dont know for sure. i'll be installing a complete system myself this week - using the Currie upgrade on my '01. i'll let you know whether or not i feel a noticeable difference in the steering effort.

you could also check that your steering stabilizer is moving freely - never heard of one freezing up, but hey, anything can happen. other than that it sounds pump, box, or linkage related.

You can lengthen yours for a few dollars in metal and a little welding.

I did this on my wifes XJ...cut the arms with a sawzall. 1x1 square tube fits inside perfect. I hammered one piece about a foot long into place. Set the gap between sawed ends at 0.25 inch (doesn't need to be exact, as loong as the other one is exactly the same. Then I welded the tube in place. Hammered another 1x1 into the center, welded it in place too. VERY solid.

Back