• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Lock the front or back?

ratherbcamping

NAXJA Forum User
I have a 96 XJ with 4.0, AX-15, 231. I'm running 89 XJ 3.54 axles, non-c open D35 and a disco D30 with posi-lok. It has 4.5" of lift and 30" BFG MT tires on stock YJ rims. Eventually would like to go to 31" on black steel rims.

P3180016.jpg

I have an open Dana 44 3.54 that I had planned to build and put in the XJ, but now I'm not sure. This is not a rock crawler. It's a street queen that will make occasional trips to the beach with our three dogs (so think sand, not rocks).

I am leaning toward putting an aussie locker in the front. Thinking that would give me three good wheels in the sand and with the axle disconnected, it would drive like normal on the street.

Any thoughts on this set up? Would I be better off locking the D-35? Any issues with running an aussie in a disco D30 other than the drive shaft spinning?

Thanks for any input.

really comes down to, would you rather be pushed (locker in the rear) or pulled (locker in the front). Personally I would go with the locker in the rear... but for sand not really sure.

Put it up front. and those are zj wheels

Actually I think they are TJ Canyons, the ZJ rims have a thinner spoke and are not as wide

Lock the front. In a rig with two axles worthy of keeping and building up, I'd lock the rear first. With a D35, I wouldn't put a dime into it.

using a truetrac or any type of lunch box locker in the front will lead to some bad street driving. If don't drive a lot on the street no big deal. But if it is your daily driver save your money and buy a selectable locker like an ARB OX of Aburn ected. Speaking from very recent experiance with a front locker you will break things,fast. Snapped a chromoly yukon stub shaft first time out with lockers front and rear.

killer98xjsport said:
using a truetrac or any type of lunch box locker in the front will lead to some bad street driving.

Is this true with a disco axle? I thought the disco would help maintain normal driving conditions on the street. Will is still catch in 2WD at times?

Its not true with either axle. I have a tru-trac in a non disco and its invisible, only problem is its invisable off-raod as well lol. I have an Aussie locker waiting for install though :cool:

BlueCuda said:
Actually I think they are TJ Canyons, the ZJ rims have a thinner spoke and are not as wide

Yeah, I thought that after looking more

Automatic front lockers can be scary on snowy or especially icy roads. The faster you go, the scarier they can be. The locker doesn't differentiate when under power or deceleration, leading to a "push" effect when trying to steer. Some folks don't mind that, but I wouldn't run an automatic locker in the front. Selectable is the way to go.

Back