• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Smog question

spudly

NAXJA Forum User
NAXJA Member
OK, so the 94 I bought didn't pass smog (I know it technically should not have been sold in the state of CA). The cat was fried and I found some other problems along the way.

Here is the list of things I have done in preparation for getting it smogged this week:

Replaced Catalytic Converter
Replaced Muffler and Tailpipe
Replaced Cracked Exhaust Header with APN one

Replaced TPS
Replaced O2 sensor

Repaired Oil Filter Housing Leak

Changed Oil and Filter
Replaced Air Filter
Replaced Fuel Filter

Replaced Spark Plugs
Replaced Plug Wires
Replaced Rotor and Distributor Cap

Changed to 30 Speedo Gear from 34 Tooth to compensate for 33" tires on stock gearing
Replaced Motor Mounts

I am planning on running a can of BG44k through the tank once I get everything back together (hopefully tomorrow if I can fix the power steering pump reservoir).

It was failing NOx at 15mph: 517 Max, 136 Avg, 704 Measured and barely passed at 25mph: 770 Max, 124 Avg, 625 Measured.

Is there anything else I should look at before I go back to get it smogged, other than rebuiling the top end? The motor runs fine and has plenty of power, the oil wasn't too bad when I changed it. There is quite a bit of build up in the intake. I cleaned out quite a bit from the throttle body, injector seats and what I could of the intake manifold. From my understaning the BG44k should go a good ways towards blowing out the rest of it. I know there is a lot of people behind Sea Foam, but I'm a little apprehensive of pouring things into the vaccum lines or throttle body. I figured the BG44k was a little safer since it runs through the tank. Plus it seems it would also clean out the injectors somewhat.

"Technically should not have been sold in CA" - is it a 49-states vehicle, or a California vehicle? Check the emissions tag - if it's a CA vehicle, it will say so on the tag (otherwise, it's just "United States," I think.)

If it's a Federal vehicle, be sure to point that out for your retest - I think they have to ease up a little. Federal standard lag a couple of years behind CA - have since the beginning (CA started emissions in 1966, Federal in 1968.)

Anyhow, if it's Federal, I think they have to test to Federal emissions levels, instead of CA. You might want to check the CARB website (California Air Resources Board - I don't recall the site, but Google should turn it up rather quickly for you.)

No, it's a CA tagged vehicle. Just one of those things the DMV frowns on (seller not smogging before sale).

Yeah, I took it on knowing the issue. I figured it was a case of it's easier to beg forgiveness than ask for permission. Usually the DMV just wants their fees, once they have the cash they're usually more agreeable.

Cool, not really worried about the tags at this point. Luckily the XJ is a project at this point and not a daily driver. I would like to get it on the road ASAP though since my son has bugged me everyday since buying it about going for a ride in it (and for my inner kid bugging me the same way :D ).

Everything else was pretty normal:

CO2
15mph 15.4
25mph 15.4

O2
15mph .2
25mph .1

HC
15mph Max 89, Avg 19, Measured 24
25mph Max 54, Avg, 12, Measured 21

CO
15mph Max .66, Avg .06, Measured .13
25mph Max .80, Avg .05, Measured .13

NO
15mph Max 517, Avg 136, Measured 704
25mph Max 770, Avg 124, Measured 625

Last edited:
You are running lean. Build a MAP adjuster and dial it in. It worked for me in Oregon. Since you are also low on the CO2 and CO, it should work. I ended up going through a couple of times to get an idea where the cross over was then dialed it in. I've done this twice.

Could the cracked exhaust have caused the lean condition (possibly messing with the O2 sensor readings)?

Back