• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Hard Start when hot

black2door

NAXJA Forum User
Okay so my Jeep runs at about 210*. When it gets up to temp and I shut it off, if I come back like 5 min later and its still hot, it has a horrible time starting. It just cranks and cranks. It starts but its ridiculously hard. Is this a sensor?? That was my first thought. It has about 141000 miles on it. I havent changed the plugs wires or distributer cap yet but looking at the rest of the Jeep (oil and stuff) I doubt they have ever been changed. Yes I let the pump pressurize before I start it. I did the key trick for codes because Im OBDI with a 1997 for some reason and all it said was code 21 which is for the downstream o2 (P/O installed a strait pipe). If I have someone turn the key I can here the fuel rail pressurize. Am I supposed to??? Okay, It has about 141000 miles on it. I havent changed the plugs wires or distributer cap yet but looking at the rest of the Jeep (oil and stuff) I doubt they have ever been changed. Yes I let the pump pressurize before I start it. I did the key trick for codes because Im OBDI with a 1997 for some reason and all it said was code 21 which is for the downstream o2 (P/O installed a strait pipe). If I have someone turn the key I can here the fuel rail pressurize. Am I supposed to??? Any help is appreciated. THANKS

Get a tune up. Search the Forum (use the advanced search) and read about the fuel pump check valve and heat soak (vapor lock). You need to borrow a code reader from a parts store to check trouble codes.

Back