• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

non disco to disco conversion

fuzzydog

NAXJA Forum User
If I am replacing my front non-disco D30 with a disco D30 (the disco has the 4.10 gears I want), can I just take my non-disco long axleshaft and swap it into the disco housing (block off the shift mech, change seals, etc), but will it fit and should the splines on the axle ends be the same?

Aren't the axle u-joints larger on the non-disco D30's? If so, you have to change the outer axles as well.

OK, I made the leap. I now own a 1987 non-abs disco 4.10 dana 30. I also own a 1990 (1989 according to the tag) ABS non-disco 3.55 dana 30. I am completely stripping down the disco axle but leaving the carrier and pinion untouched (gears are in very good shape esp considering the 350000kms shown on the odo). Then I am going to take my knuckles and axles (bigger ujoints)from the ABS non-disco axle and put it on the disco axle.

Interesting note - the brake caliper is mounted to the disco knuckle differently than on the non-disco. I could have just reused it as is but would have had to have replaced the ujoints on the disco axle as they were in very bad shape.

xjbubba said:
Aren't the axle u-joints larger on the non-disco D30's? If so, you have to change the outer axles as well.

I think the joint changed in either 97 or 98, but the shafts with the larger joints are still interchangable.

Back