• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

a broken upper shock bolt story...with a twist

citRon

NAXJA Forum User
ok, I have searched, and read, every post on the upper broken shock bolt problem. Trying to avoid the same, I PB'd for a week before beginning mt install, and all 4 still broke. Ok, no big deal, I figured this would happen, so I planned on drilling or punching them out, and sliding nuts into the space as suggested by many. The twist is, and the problem- there is NO slot, space, hole or opening otherwise near the nuts! Mine is a '96. I've seen pictures from posts that show the 'access' area to the side everyone talks about where they slide in a new nut, and my jeep doesn't have any open areas! ?????

Simple from my perspective. What I did... Get a set of Rocky Road Outfitters http://www.rocky-road.com/ bar pin eliminators and have em welded in. A simple, inexpensive solution. $22 for the set plus whatever the welder gets. Never have to worry about it again. Make sure you clean up well after the welding and put some good coats of primer or POR15 on the weld to prevent rusting.
bpe.jpg

The RR BPE's are a bit wider than most shocks so you'll need to shim with washers to load the mount. Just grind off the powdercoat arount the edges before welding. The holes for bolting em in are good spots for tacking em up. Align those holes with the original bolts holes. EVEN BETTER if you have sheared off bolts still in the holes. Something more to weld to.

Makes disconnecting and changing shocks easier. There are some other brands too that could be welded up.

Last edited:
yeah- the BPE route is the way I was going- I was planning on using the sway bar mouints for BPE's, and wanted to just bolt them in place- I don't know anybody that welds is the problem w/ getting them welded...what should someone charge to weld those up? -couldn't take more than 5 minutes to do-

Guy charged me 20 bucks. He had it on a lift too. MOst body shops can weld it up for you. Anyone with a MIG unit can do it easy.

My truck is up in the air now and im about to build it back up. all i did was drill and tap is this no good i went a bigger size to

pounding them out is the way to got and the access hole is inboard snap a pic so we can show you.

Back