• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Ticking noise 96 2.5l

hizzo3

NAXJA Forum User
Ok for the last 10k miles i've had a ticking that has slowly been getting louder... at first i thought it was a bad injector, but now not so certain. Just recently i've started to idle high, and having a loss on the low end of power. any ideas?

not sure if the 2.5 has hydrolic (sp) lifters, but if it does one may be stuck or you could have an exhaust leak somewhere.

well i did have a leak, but i fixed that... it was in the manifold... that sound is gone... this sound is like a metalic tick with a gurgling sound... I've noticed the sound is reduced if i use lucas oil treatment.

if i decide to do a rebuild on my 2.5l how much will a upper and lower rebuild kit cost? if its too much i may just find myself a 4.0 xj and start a rebuild on there before my 2.5 hits the dirt.

In my expierence, when the 2.5L motors go, they just go. They don't let you know about it. I've had a few friends with over 150K HARD miles on they 2.5's and they suffered massive failure.

As for the high idle check your TPS. I have had problems with my 2.5 and it either was electrical or was cleared up with an engine treatment. The lucas oil and fuel additives in my 2.5 did cause it to idle high. I quit using them and it returned to normal.

Try running a can of B&G 44K through your fuel. It's expensive and tough to find (some dealerships carry it). But it works wonders.

KarlVP said:
In my expierence, when the 2.5L motors go, they just go. They don't let you know about it. I've had a few friends with over 150K HARD miles on they 2.5's and they suffered massive failure.

As for the high idle check your TPS. I have had problems with my 2.5 and it either was electrical or was cleared up with an engine treatment. The lucas oil and fuel additives in my 2.5 did cause it to idle high. I quit using them and it returned to normal.

Try running a can of B&G 44K through your fuel. It's expensive and tough to find (some dealerships carry it). But it works wonders.

yeah, i'll check my tps... is the B&G 44k the same as seafoam? i also fill using shell or chevron...

not good news on the 2.5l, maybe i'll trade her in for a new patriot ;)

Back