• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

2000 XJ overhead console

Boyjeepin

NAXJA Forum User
Ok, so here we go. I have spent many nights searching till my eyes feel like they are on fire for information on installing an overhead console into a 2000 XJ Classic. I have found what I think is a fair amount of information to where I believe I can figure it out.

However, I recently found a post stating that the wiring harness for the overhead console is part number 5600 9757AD, can anyone confirm this? I also read that you can't buy the overhead console harness anymore?!?! The stupid dealership seems to have no idea and talked me into buying the wrong part for $117 and wont let me return it. The closest place that has this part is about a two hour drive and I figured I would start here for any information. No junk yards within three hours from here have any cherokees newer than a 1994 so going there for the harness is kinda out of the question.

Also, all the forums use the same link on how to install these things and the link doesn't work. Anyone know of another place that has a good write up with pics?

Sorry for the long post, thanks in advance for all your help.
:piratefla

Yeah I took the writeup down because I updated it. If you would like a copy feel free to send me a pm with your email. It has great pics and lots of info.

As for the harness you have to remember that each year except 2000-2001 had different plug connectors where you plug in near the fuse box. If you get one that is another year that is fine, but you will have to splice.

Part number 4882780 is the number for the Overhead Console wiring harness. This is stated in the 2000 Factory Parts Catalog. But part numbers do change overtime. Its priced around $112.00. I do not think this item is available any longer for Mopar. When I installed mine I did a check at my local dealer and the computer said Zero after a nation wide search. But never hertz to try again. The number you have (5600 9757AD) is just for a regular dome light. It WILL NOT WORK with the Overhead Console.

Hope this helps,

Alex

OverheadConsole19992.jpg

Picture003-1.jpg

Last edited:
Here's what I found. My guess would be 48827801
4 WIRING, Overhead Console
4882 780 1 Type II w/Keyless Entry System-Type I
1 Type II w/Keyless Entry System w/
Immobilizer
5 56009 757AD 1 WIRING, Dome Lamp, Base Model w/
Overhead Console

If you had the mini console w/ keyless entry, you could probably modify your harness to work with the full OH console. You might need more pins to go into the plug, but the plug themselves would be correct.

Here's the pin out for the 2000 xj OH console plug C301:

The pin outs for the 2001 10 pin plug C301:

4 3 ___ 2 1
10 9 8 7 6 5

1 D1 20VT/BR
2 D2 20WT/BK
3 G32 20BK/LB
4 G31 20VT/LG
5 Z2 20BK/LG
6 F87 20WT/BK
7 X3 20BK/RD
8 P55 20DB/PK
9 P59 20LB/RD
10 nothing

I have the part number off of a 1997 wire harness and a 1999 wire harness. It is 56009702 with a two letter suffix that I think is the revision level. I forgot to write down the 97 one but the 99 is 56009702AE.

If you go to www.allchryslerparts.com and type in the 8 digit part number with no spaces most of the time it will give the application for the part number. Keep in mind that I have found that the part descriptions are sometimes incorrect even when I have the part in hand and its number is stamped or printed right on it.

Last edited:
hey guys, thanks for all the help but I do know that the part number 4882780 is not correct. Thats the guts of the overhead console, I know this because the dealership said that it was the correct part and ordered it for me and wont let me return it.

I do think that 56009757AD is the right number and I know a dealership about 2 hours away has it so I guess I will take a trip down there tomorrow.

556009757AD sounds correct. That is the one for the base model. I would just take a look at it to be sure. Make sure it has the right number of plugs. Sorry I had a long day yesterday.

yes i realize what allchryslerparts.com says it is and also the parts catolog says something weird too but I have learned that the way they word things is very confusing. Also the diagram from the parts catalog is even more confusing so I guess I will just have to go take a look for myself at the dealership.

Back