• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

AW4 stays in 4th when coming to a stop?? Help!

pancake

NAXJA Forum User
I spent a couple days searching but couldn’t find what I needed. Hopefully this post will help.

I’ve had trouble with my transmission ‘slipping’ lately. It only occurs from a stop (and of course, is intermittent), otherwise the XJ runs just fine. I’ve narrowed down the problem…the transmission isn’t shifting out of 4th gear when I come to a stop. When I start out again, since I’m in 4th gear the vehicle is very sluggish. If I manually put the level in “1 2” (instead of D) it puts me back into 1st gear and I can manually shift up from there. Everything works fine until I come to a stop again. I do get a CEL but I don't have a tool to read it.

What could this be?

Vehicle details:
’98 Cherokee Sport
I-6
AW4
NP242

What I’ve done:
Checked fluid level
Installed new TPS

Yup, since it's OBDII the CEL code should be very helpful. It may be as simple as the fuse for the Transmission Control Unit (TCU) is blown which results in the exact same symptoms you described (which I believe would be just a P0700 code).

I just returned from Autozone with the codes. I hope someone here can point me in the right direction.

P0700 Transmission Control System Malfunction
P0758 Shift Solenoid B Electrical

Thanks!

You either have a wiring problem in the harness going to the #2 solenoid or the solenoid is bad. Pull the connector off the TCU and measure the resistance across the #2 solenoid pin and ground. As I recall it should be between 11-16 ohms. If it's reading way high or shorted, check at the connector under the hood, up near the firewall. Look for the wires heading down to the tranny. If that still looks bad, it's time to pull the pan and measure right at the solenoid.

I stuck a copy of the two connector pinouts here.

Joshua said:
I am having this exact same problem. Did you try these fixes, pancake? Please let me know! :gonnablow

I did try the harness inspection but I’m not too comfortable with electrical stuff. I have an appointment for a transmission diagnostic service next week. We’ll see what they say. :cry:

Ok

Good news:

The transmission shop inspected everything (even dropped the pan) and didn’t see any mechanical issues at all with the AW4. They also don’t feel this is a solenoid problem.

Bad news:

The shop felt there was a problem somewhere in the electrical system. Voltages coming to the TCM were fine as were voltages exiting the TCM. They are referring me to an electrical shop.

So far no diagnosis. The shop (very nice people btw) felt it would either be wiring or a faulty TCM.

Any thoughts???

Joshua said:
I am having this exact same problem. Did you try these fixes, pancake? Please let me know! :gonnablow

Did you ever get this fixed? I've been driving around shifting manually forever.

I had the exact same symptoms years ago with my 97. If in the D position, the transmission would stay in 4th gear. I could manually shift the transmission by putting it in 1-2, letting it shift up, then kicking it into 3, and then D at cruising speed to get 4th. I literally shifted it like a manual without a clutch or a modern day transmission with manual shift mode. Took it to Mr. Transmission and they diagnosed it as a solenoid issue. They replaced the same solenoid with a brand new unit both aftermarket and Mopar OEM and it never fixed it. It wasn't until they realized their online database that gives them schematics was incorrect and telling them to replace the wrong solenoid, that they finally got it right.

I don't remember what codes I had as this was nearly 8 years ago. Hope this information helps someone in the future. Or alteast helps them get by driving their Jeep until the problem can be dealt with.

Any updates on this??

6 year old thread.......

Here's something I always do when putzing around on XJs.

Cruiser’s Trans Plug Refreshing

Over near the transmission dipstick tube are 2 rather large connectors. One is black and the other gray. These 2 connectors carry all the info between TPS, TCU, NSS, speed sensor, and transmission solenoids.
Unplug each one, visually inspect for corrosion or bent pins, spray them out with electrical contact cleaner and plug them back in.

Additionally, if your Jeep is an 87 to 90 Renix, it’s always a good idea to reach up under the glovebox area and unplug the connector to the TCU and spray it out along with the receptacle of the TCU. While you’re there, find the fuse right in that area for the TCU. Remove it and spray out it’s receptacle and clean any corrosion from the fuse.
Revised 9-10-2012

Back