• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

power but no start.

mojopeterson

NAXJA Forum User
I have tried everything that i can think of at this point. My problem is that I have power to all of my accessories and can hear the buzz from the fuel pump when I try to start it. When I turn the key to start I get nothing, desn't even tryo to turn over. I can arc the starter and it functions. I have replaced the starter relay switch. '87 XJ 4.0. Sorry so long. Any ideas, Thanks.

Nuetral safety switch. try wiggleing the shifter around while holding the key in the start position. also try neutral. my 92 would act up sometimes in park but would always start in neutral-just hold the brake!!

Sounds like your neutral safety switch is wigging out - it doesnt realize you are in park/neutral. Try shifting it out and into park a couple times kinda hard and wiggling it a little, or search here for how to clean your neutral safety switch.

mojopeterson said:
Thanks. i have tried that also. If the NSS has gone completely bad would it cause it to not turn over.

Yes, thats the whole point of the NSS (other than turning on your reverse lights) .. it stops the starter from running if it thinks you are in gear.

Back