• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

rearching leafs?

rustysxj

NAXJA Forum User
i heard that you can have your old springs re arched (same goes for coils)
and get maybe 3inchs of lift at the max back in to it this true?

and how big are the stock Xj tanks sizes
im trying to gauge my mpg

i think they would just settle back down to stock. 20.2 i think. gallons.

XJ leaves seem pretty saggy as candidates for rearching, and I'd also check for wear before giving it a try. The contact patches can wear a good deal, and I suspect they wouldn't take that well to serious rearching.

I've seen some Wranglers lifted that way, and they look flimsy and silly. In order to get a significant lift you have to put a pretty radical bend in the ends of the top leaves.

You shouldn't need the actual tank capacity to calculate mileage, unless you intend to carry a gas can and run it empty. Just fill it, drive it, record how much it takes to fill it again, etc. It doesn't matter how far you go between fills, as long as you fill it each time as nearly as possible to the same point. Do this a few times in succession to average out the slight differences in total fill.

Matthew Currie said:
You shouldn't need the actual tank capacity to calculate mileage, unless you intend to carry a gas can and run it empty. Just fill it, drive it, record how much it takes to fill it again, etc. It doesn't matter how far you go between fills, as long as you fill it each time as nearly as possible to the same point. Do this a few times in succession to average out the slight differences in total fill.

how would you do that, the way ive been calculating mpg is that i take whatever my tank is (i put 20) divided by my miles, so far ive been getting 270 miles on a full tank 270/20=13.5 mpg, which on a stock xj im wondering why im not getting atleast 15

rustysxj said:
how would you do that, the way ive been calculating mpg is that i take whatever my tank is (i put 20) divided by my miles, so far ive been getting 270 miles on a full tank 270/20=13.5 mpg, which on a stock xj im wondering why im not getting atleast 15

Fill your tank.

Reset your trip meter.

Drive...

Drive some more...

Top gas tank off at pump.

Record how many gallons went into tank.

Divide miles driven by gallons pumped into tank.

Ex.

270miles on trip meter. 16 gallons pumped into tank to top it off.

270/16= 16.875 mpg

-J

Yeah, what he said. Because many XJ's seem to be able to take a fair amount of fuel after the nozzle pops off, and not all nozzles pop at the same point, try to do this at the same station a few times in a row, and don't top off when the pump stops. If you then average the readings over three or more tanks, you'll have a pretty accurate reading.

I like the idea of getting the up country front and rear springs, but with shocks for the stock hight, on now, would I need to get new ones? The ones I have are only a year old.

How hard is it to replace the front and rear springs? I know I need a spring compressor but besides that?

89 Renix 4L D35 np231. If the new springs gave me a little lift would this effect my drivetran in any bad way?

Back