• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Grounds

8Mud

NAXJA Forum User
I'm fairly familiar with the grounds under the hood (Renix), but haven't found many behind the dash. I'm sure they are there, just never had much experience with them.
I jumped the ground to the power window circuit under the drivers side kick panel. And while I was in there jumped another ground wire mounted to the lower left bottom of the dash. Tied them all together and made a new ground to the dash brace bolt.
Headlights got brighter, power windows nearly doubled there speed and if I'm not imagining things my idle smoothed out some.
I've looked through some diagrams trying to figure out what I did and can't find a location for grounds G102, G103 and G 104.
The best solution would be to leave it the heck alone and be happy, but I'm a curious sort.
All the wiring in an XJ harness and the ground circuits, most all flow through splices to maybe a dozen grounds, through anemic wiring. It's almost like the engineers forgot that DC electric is a loop.

When I first got my 98 I planned on adding various electric things inside so one of the first things I did was run tow 10ga wires from the PDC and battery ground to inside the dash. I attached the ground to that big alulminum brace under the steering wheel mount and since then have run any grounds to stuff I added to that point. It even had a nice empty threaded hole in it too....

I'm fairly familiar with the grounds under the hood (Renix), but haven't found many behind the dash. I'm sure they are there, just never had much experience with them.
I jumped the ground to the power window circuit under the drivers side kick panel. And while I was in there jumped another ground wire mounted to the lower left bottom of the dash. Tied them all together and made a new ground to the dash brace bolt.
Headlights got brighter, power windows nearly doubled there speed and if I'm not imagining things my idle smoothed out some.
I've looked through some diagrams trying to figure out what I did and can't find a location for grounds G102, G103 and G 104.
The best solution would be to leave it the heck alone and be happy, but I'm a curious sort.
All the wiring in an XJ harness and the ground circuits, most all flow through splices to maybe a dozen grounds, through anemic wiring. It's almost like the engineers forgot that DC electric is a loop.

Apologies for bringing up an old thread...but do you have a picture of this?

Apologies for bringing up an old thread...but do you have a picture of this?

No I sure don't, it was an experiment when I first did it. But the test of time has proved it's usefulness, things still work well.
I do still have one slow window though, so it's likely my approach needs some more work/research.
Basically what I did was to integrate the power seat circuit with the window circuit (behind the drivers side kick panel and the drivers door sill harness). And add some grounds to chassis, for the ground wires for both circuits, behind the drivers side kick panel.
In affect doubling (most of) the available amperage to one or the other circuit, unless you try to work both at once.
If your still interested, after it warms up some, I'll take some pictures and draw some diagrams.

No I sure don't, it was an experiment when I first did it. But the test of time has proved it's usefulness, things still work well.
I do still have one slow window though, so it's likely my approach needs some more work/research.
Basically what I did was to integrate the power seat circuit with the window circuit (behind the drivers side kick panel and the drivers door sill harness). And add some grounds to chassis, for the ground wires for both circuits, behind the drivers side kick panel.
In affect doubling (most of) the available amperage to one or the other circuit, unless you try to work both at once.
If your still interested, after it warms up some, I'll take some pictures and draw some diagrams.

Pics and diagrams will be nice. I need things spelled out in diagrams and pictures, because I understand it better that way. Wait till it warms up though, and I appreciate your help.

Back