• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

shaving rear diff.

2000bluexj

NAXJA Forum User
after seeing for my self the lip on the bottom the chrysler 8.25 and getting hung up on it i think im going to shave it. can i also add a skid plate to the bottom of the housing? like weld a piece of plate onto the bottom of the housing? anybody done this? how much did you shave? any pictures would be good too.
thanks

I shaved the lip off, flat with the remainder of the dif case. so the bottom is even with the cover, if you leave some of the cover hanging down you may get it hung up, peeling it back and causing a leak of fluid. so cut flush, or match your cover to where you shave too. if you have a beefy after market cover you may be able to shave a little more.

I have shaved mine all the way flush with the case, like said above have a heavy duty cover as I've peeled back 2 of mine. No need to weld a skid on the bottom if your trying to get clearance. It is cast also so welding to steel will be a little difficult unless youve done it before.

I did the same as above. I also trimmed the cover along the sides, up to the tubes, where it sticks out past the housing. I was glad I did last trip out. JIM.

This jeep belongs to "bburge" here. You can PM him with questions, he's pretty cool.

The pictures more or less speak for themselves. Start with a good aftarmarket diff cover. Have it on while you grind to keep shavings out of the rear diff.

back-before.jpg

front-before.jpg

back-halfdone.jpg

front-halfdone.jpg

front-done.jpg

back-done.jpg

the skids for the 8.25 housing actually have more issues and i've seen ppl use them and take them right back off.

and here are my shots:
BEFORE
discbrakes+008.jpg

and then after:
discbrakes+009.jpg

2000bluexj said:
would it be possible do go farther and just drill and tap a new bottom bolt hole and modify a beefy cover?

It would be a bad idea to try. You would be going from removing extra material to damaging the structeral integrity..

i thought about that. well, ill probably get the cover and shave to the cover. i was thinking of covering up the "scoop" on the bottom of the diff with some 1/4 plate welding to the housing so it will just slide up and over the rocks

on the lip, you can angle the grinder so the lip has a 45 deg angle down to the edge of the diff cover. It helps.

x2 on not going any farther than the edge of the cover. you'll begin to weaken the housing. better to get taller tires to add clearance. if you havent yet, might want to relocate the stock lower shock mounts.

Hey Josh, wanna shave my rear end? Damn, that sounded so wrong. :)

Back