• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

89 - 90, much difference?

Lusty

NAXJA Forum User
hey guys i am the owner of a 90 laredo, 4.0 auto 4x4, well my transfer case is tellin me its gone but luckily i found a guy with a 89 4.o auto 4x4 for sale. Are there much differences with the two years, its only 400 bucks so it seems like a good deal, runs and drives, has lift and 31s too. Any interchangable info you can offer would be great thanks all.

p.s. my transfer case clunks like mad when you try to get it in 4wd,and ya can hear something loud and spinnin while drivin in 2wd, 2 mechanics have listened and said its gone. I t worked seemlessly before, could it just be the shift lever out of adjustment? cause it was great before, and im not hard on it either...thanks (still gonna buy the other jeep anyway)

Very little changed between those years. Manual trannies changed mid-89, but that's not an issue here. $400 sounds reasonable - go for it! On the xfer case, I would check the linkage.

all i have is a haynes manual, how do i adjust the shift lever on the t-case or how would you recommend adjusting this?

the manual does not specify very well

There is a change in spline count on either the tranny or TC that I think happened around '90. It's worth digging a little deeper to be sure.

PaulJ said:
There is a change in spline count on either the tranny or TC that I think happened around '90. It's worth digging a little deeper to be sure.

I think the spline change was when they switched from Renix to the Chrysler OBDI engine setup in 1991. This was the switch to the HO engines and open cooling system as well.

Back