• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

torque converter question

xj-sparky

NAXJA Forum User
i recently got a rattle on my jeep, it started as a small vibration/rattle that i could hear and feel under the floor. it would only rattle or vibrate when i hit bumps on the road but has now developed into almost constantly doing it. that makes me think something is coming looser. if it is the commone torque converter problem how would i check it and fix it. any help is appreciated.

I doubt it the torqe converter but to check just pull the lower dust cover off and spin the flywheel around gently with a prybar and see it their loose or not might just be the dust cover ratteling loose aswell

any idea what else it might be if it's not the tc. i got under the jeep while it was running and it sounded like it was coming right around the tranny engine mating area. what dust cover do i remove?

Check, in roughly this order:
Exhaust Hangers and Mounts
Crossmember Screws
Inspection Plate (bottom of bellhousing)
Exhaust Collector Stud Nuts (manifold to pipe)
Torque Converter to Flexplate screws
Check Flexplate for Cracks near Crankshaft Hub (I've posted how to do this a couple times...)

Back