• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

? about taking jeep to dealer

my65289stang

NAXJA Forum User
I don't go to the dealer unless I have to, I thought they pretty much had me by the ba!!s with the abs light coming on so I took it in.

96 cherokee 4.0 auto 4X4

Yesterday they called me back and said, "its the ABS relay"

Fine please put a new relay in and take care of the ABS light

Todays call was "the relay did not fix it, it needs a module"

I said, "I thought you could hook the jeep up and it would tell you why the ABS light was on so you could fix it. I thought that was how you determined that the relay was bad."

He said that is not the case on these "older" cherokees (96). Is this true? The computer doesn't tell them why the ABS light is on?

I told him not to put a module in and I would pick up my jeep today. I don't have money to throw parts at the ABS system and if I did, I would go buy the parts and throw them at it myself and save some $.

It sounds like they are not charging me for the relay. Anyone shed some light on this for me? I find it hard to believe that any time the ABS light comes on the dealer guesses whats wrong with it until they replace the right part

Thanks

Older abs systems are hard to diagnose. Some vehicles will tell you whats wrong with the abs system. I worked on a 89 ford ranger the abs light was on beacuse there wasnt enough brake fluid. The computer wouldnt tell us why the light was on.

Being you jeep is a 96 and has obdII computer system it will tell a mechanic alot more info than the older models, but its not always that cut and dry. A scanner is only as good as the guy using it. The scanner probably picked up a power problem from the module, without further diagnosis (labor time) relay would be a logical fix. sounds like they tried it, it didn't fix it so the next step probably is the module. If they're not charging you for it, nothing lost and you got some free diagnosis. I wouldn't be upset...just my opinion though...

i get a lot of dealer time with the trucks at work and basicly lke it was stated before its all about who is doing the work, some guys have talent some have knowledge and you need a guy with both. most abs codes are generic and you basicly only know that a certain part of the system didnt work right to set the code but it wont tell ya why

Back